I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Tear Down Update...Thanks
Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:38PM

OK…so I made a mistake on tearing down a rod. I’m the first to admit I’m a true beginner. This is the pictures of what I did (from a previous post).

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I was sure the rod was still strong and that I did not effect the integrity of the blank itself but, thanks to the advanced learning curve I gained from this site I think I have a redemption.

Here is what I did to “fix” the situation…I did find some rods at a garage sale this weekend and cut one to pieces. I could not find one to do an “over sleeve” so I did an “internal” sleeve.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

It is epoxied up. My question…am I ok to build at this point? I guess I’m looking for some reassurance.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Tear Down Update...Thanks
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:50PM

Hi Harold,

Yes an internal sleeve is just fine. As long as it was a good fit and you got the epoxy glue in to hold everything good. In fact most repairs in that area are internal.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 11:52PM

Harold,

Did you read Ralph O'Quinn's how to in the Library section above? I'm thinking if you did, you may have missed one VERY IMPORTANT point. From the looks of the picture you posted, the plug you selected is graphite the same as what the initial blank is made of. When you are doing either an inner sleeve or outer sleeve or both, the sleeve needs to be of a material that is of a lower modulus than what the blank is made of. The preferred material, in this case, is fiberglass. If you don't have fiberglass, then the sleeves must have a thinner wall than the blank. Say you have an IM7 rod you're repairing. Then, if you can't get fiberglass to sleeve with, you would need to use an IM4, 5 or 6 graphite sleeve. As I understand Ralph's tutorial, and from his seminars that I've taken, this would be the appropriate course of action. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 13, 2008 04:36AM

For an internal sleeve, I think the opposite would be true, as the smaller diameter makes it bend more under the same stress. So an internal plug would be a stronger material, and thicker walled. Spigot ferrules are usually thicker, or even solid (for small diameter sections).

What you describe is spot on for an oversleeve. Ralph's tutorial covers oversleeves mostly, but the one with th inner plug also has an oversleeve joint.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2008 10:47AM

Ted is correct. You're trying to retain the same characteristics as that of the original blank so if you move to a larger diameter piece for an oversleeve, you need a lower modulus material there. On interior pieces, you need higher modulus material or heavier walls (even solid but counter-bored tapered). What you don't want is for there to be a sudden change in properties where the spigot/sleeve/splice etc., is located.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2008 02:05PM

Ted / Tom,

Thanks for the clarification.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 13, 2008 09:00PM

Why the tapered counter-bore Tom? I assume this is on the ends of the spigot, to reduce stress concentration at the ends?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster