I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Band Troubles...
Posted by: Steve Lawrence (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 12, 2008 04:26AM

G'day.

I only build a few rods a year, and have started on my first light weight stick (6.5 foot 4lb spin rod). I'm getting frustrated with trying to wrap metallic trim bands on the overwraps. Never had a problem with the heavier stuff I've done previously, since I put the trim bands on the underwraps. Here though, the inside trim band (ie at the tie off point) pops out more often than not. Not really surprising, since the airgap between the guide foot and the wrap is a lot bigger than the thread diameter (standard Gudebrod A, BYAG guides) :)

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'm almost at the point of being unhappy with a single colour, but then then again...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Never mistake enthusiasm for talent!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Band Troubles...
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:47AM

You shouldn't need underwraps on such a light rod, Steve. Prep the guide feet well, and just wrap them on the blank.

Date: February 12, 2008 07:05AM

Hi Ted, thanks for the reply, although there are no underwraps on this one. My problem is when I put try adding the trim bands to the overwrap - the inside band keeps popping off :(

Stevo

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:01AM

Do you do your trim wraps like a nail knot, or another method? If you're using single foot guides, I believe you need a Forhan Locking wrap. Then a nail knot type trim wrap on each end should be easier than a trim wrap up on the guide foot. If this isn't the problem, then you need to supply more detail.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:07AM

You can do this a couple of ways. One is to lay the trim band thread on the blank and wrap over it , insert an additional tie off loop about five wraps before you finish the wrap. Pull the tag end of the wrap through and wrap the trim band and then pull that tag through. Or you can finish the guide wrap and add the trim band later using a nail knot. It helps to put a dab of Super glue on the knot to hold it together before you trim the tag ends.

Date: February 12, 2008 02:18PM

Hi Ralph and Jim, thanks for this. Never would have thought of using a nail knot but good to know for future. I think my problem is simply not setting up the tie off loops early enough, and because of the air space between the foot and the thread there isn't enough friction to hold the trim wrap in place.

Thanks gents, will let you know how I go.

To quote Ralph - "If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again."

Gone fishin'

Steve

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 03:08PM

Steve; If you are using a single foot guide do as suggested above and use the Forhan locking wrap and put the pull through in on the last wrap on the foot. That way you will have five wraps over the tag end when you pull it through. Pull it down and away from the tunnel.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 08:08PM

This may help you, then again maybe it won't.

[cabochonrods.com]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 09:59PM

Very nice David R.!

DR

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:20PM

This may help as well.

[www.washingtonfishingfools.com]

Just have fun Steve. Don't stress and it will come.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 10:23PM

Steven,

David's tutorial should get you there. If you need more info, unhide your email and I'll send you some additional tips.

Terry

Date: February 13, 2008 04:36AM

Thanks everyone - great articles. I REALLY like the three colour wrap. Monster in the making.

Cheers gents. Will post victory pictures when I'm done.

Thanks again - tight lines.

Steve

Never mistake enthusiasm for talent!

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 03:00AM

RAYMONDS method was truly a blessing for me! Thanks again Raymond!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster