I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just a few ramblings from a new builder...
Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.cpm.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 11:09AM

I started out by refinishing an old Montague boat rod for my dad for Christmas. He loved it. I couldn’t find the original style of thread, but it still turned out nice. Man this stuff is fun!!! My dad made a wrapper for me as a Christmas also. Thanks to JP Timberlake for showing me how to wrap guides. Thanks also goes to Larry Tysinger for letting me use his dryer. Also thanks goes to Tom Kirkman for publishing the magazine and getting me hooked on reading it.

Now I’m ready to start my first rod from the ground up. I have almost everything I need to build it, all from Jann’s Netcraft, a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law. I guess I have to say nice things about her for a while now. I think I have everything I need to start a wrapper, guides, casting reel seat, handle kit, blank, tip top, thread, and Flexcoat. I’m in the process of making a reamer and dryer. I think that just leaves epoxy to hold everything together.

Well anyway, I’m chomping at the bit to start and I really, really want to, but I keep waiting for the show, the seminars and shopping. It doesn’t help that RodMaker had the article about the carbon fiber handles. I think they look awesome compared to the premade cork kit that I have. I’ve been asking myself lately, what should I do? Should I just build this one they way I first planned (a simple spiral wrap) and try the carbon fiber handles on the next or should I just make a set for this rod?

Ash

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just a few ramblings from a new builder...
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 11:23AM

Hello Ash - Welcome!

You are hooked up with guys that will keep you on track for development of quality skills. You are quite lucky! I love the signature line on your post - Sounds like the intro at a AA meeting - maybe you should add "& rodbuilding" at the end. You have listed one big problem that no one has been able to handle. Just when you think you know what you want to use for a build project the infernal Rodmaker Magazine will dive bomb you with something new!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 12:10PM

Hi Ash and welcome aboard.
If this your first from the ground up, I would keep it simple. Take your time and pay close attention to detail.
You sound very confident so jump right in there. You can get plenty of help if you need it.
Be sure to let us know how it turned out.
Have fun.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 01:27PM

Ash, as hooked as you already sound, I have some fun advice. Whatever you choose and however you build it...... NEVER change or re-do it later! Keep it just as it is. Use it as a 'Marker Gauge' to measure your improvement. Wish I had not re-done my first fly rod. And I would love to see the first rods built by Doc Ski, Tom K, Putter, Terry Henson, Mike Barkley, Billy V, Jim Upton, Rich Forhan, Ken Preston, Ray Adams, Eden Bromfield, Mark Crouse, Bill Stevens, Mark Blabaum, Michael Joyce, Andy K, Pat V and sooooo many other fine builders who show and share their evolved rod building skills so willingly on this forum. Welcome and enjoy this great hobby.

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 02:41PM

Ash - Welcome..... be warned.... you have NO idea just how addictive this stuff really is! Like Steve said - you're in VERY good hands.

Good wraps

Kevin

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.158.73.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 07, 2008 04:57PM

Hello Ash.
I'm Bill- and it has been 48 hours and 15 mins. sence I've built my last rod..... Although I did slip up today and found a broken blank and played with the thought of new thread..... but I soon put it down and peeked into the mail box to see if my fix of Rod Maker came.. Shaking pretty bad now- to see if I'm able to go to rehab ( HIGH POINT ) HMMM good name for that town....got to call the customer
Bill

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2008 07:14PM

Bill, sounds like you need some Methablank. I'd be happy to share, but I just spined, wraped and finished my last bit... Sorry man. I feel your pain...
People judge us, but just don't understand.

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.cpm.net)
Date: February 08, 2008 11:41AM

WOW Thanks to Raymond Adams, Wayne Diduch, G-MAN for all the email! I'll see you all at the show!

Ash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster