I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

No Fore Grip rods
Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 03:30PM

I would like to try building some rods without fore grips and was wondering what is used to plug the top of the reel seat so you don't see all the glue inside.
Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No Fore Grip rods
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 03:47PM

Do a search here on "epoxy ramps". You can either do that, or if you're lucky, your blank and seat will work with a standard Hosel size (big, conical winding check), which you just slip on then cover with finish.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:00PM

Stand the rod on end, fill with 5min epoxy LEVEL only, do not over fill, warm the epoxy to get it to flow down into the seat if needed and it usually is unless you're in a very warm climate. Now you can paint the end black and put a coat of finish over it. OR you can build epoxy ramps:

Here's my process, short and sweet:
Sand rod and edge of reel seat with 400grit paper the entire length where the ramp will be located, wipe clean
Mix 5 or 30 minute flex-coat rod building epoxy, about 2cc's of each part
Place rod in dryer and begin rotating
Dab mixed epoxy onto blank with brush and work it up to the reel seat edge
Add as much epoxy and you can to that area and still keep it there as you "work" the epoxy to keep it in place as the rod is turning.
As the epoxy starts to thicken slightly, get the ramp as even as possible with the brush.
When ramp starts to stay in place on it's own leave it alone.
While the rods spinning mix another 2cc's and repeat process, in this application the ramp will really start to take a nice shape, when it does and starts to thicken again, LET IT BE, the dryer will "even out" the ramp FOR YOU (warming the epoxy a touch with a lighter at this stage can help thin it and smooth out a ramp IF it needs it).
While the ramp is evening itself out as the rod turns, mix your last batch of 2cc's and repeat. This 3rd epoxy step is NOT always needed!!! Depends upon how well you did with your 1st 2 coats.
Keep in mind that you WANT to leave a little room for thread or paint that will go on the ramp AS WELL AS two coats of finish epoxy!! So your ramp should be a tad SHY of coming to the edge of the reel seats LOWEST POINT.....meaning: that cut straight line that the hood rides inside, you don't want epoxy in that gully at all, it will imped the hoods movement-not good!
Once ramp is built and still warm, wrap it with thread or paint it right then, the softer epoxy in the next hour + holds the thread nicely or allows the paint to soak into the epoxy well: both are GOOD
Now lay two coats of finish over your ramp-you're done!

[i128.photobucket.com]

[i128.photobucket.com]

DR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2008 04:01PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:06PM

Sure is nice when the seat fits the blank at the front of the seat then here is no arbor space in the front of the seat - go figure - then none needed at all - ICRBE !

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.fpcusa.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:19PM

i use reel seats with ribbed on the inside, the end where the threads are, you dont have to fill the end up with epoxy, just make sure you get glue on the ribs. then get a rubber winding check, ive even used a o ring that fits snug, epoxy over that. thats just what i do, but if your going to the show go see bill stevens he can get you going in the right direction

BIC doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2008 04:22PM by Doug Blacklock.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:30PM

I buy and use seats that either fit tight to the blank or have to be reamed out some to fit tight (bait casters).

Shorten them up some by removing excess hood threads leaving about ¼” more then what I need.

After that I bevel the seat to the blank. No arbors, no ramps, nice neat clean joint and most important for me; No additional weight.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: January 19, 2008 04:53PM

Just my 0.02... John, as a possible variant, you can try NPS-type reel seat mounted the ways you can see on the photos from the links below:
[rockit.spin-review.ru]
[rockit.spin-review.ru]

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 11:19AM

I was just over to St. Croix Rods in Park Falls, Wi yesterday.
I was looking at their new tournamanet rods. They are using a no fore grip reel seat, with a split back grip on these rods.

For the front of the reel seat, they are using a machined aluminum washer, that does a very nice job of finishing off the front of the reel seat. If you have a lathe, it is a very easy thing to make for the front of the rod.

You can also use an oversized thread winding check, and trim to fit the front of the reel seat.

Another easy option is to take a piece of EVA material, and sand and shape it to a very thin tapered piece to nicely finish off the front of the reel seat.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 12:39PM

thanks for the tips I will have to give them a try when my stitches come out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster