I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP and penetration?
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: January 03, 2008 10:54AM

I was reading a post on another board and a builder was talking about thinning one of the water based Color preservers with distilled water. I was of the opinion that most of the water based finishes were surface coatings and would not penetrate nylon thread and that all thinning did was wet the thread with water while most of the solids sat on top of the thread. I would like to know if I am right or wrong. I use gudebrod 840 in place of color preserver and have never thinned it. If I am wrong I may need to start thinning.

Thanks
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP and penetration?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 10:59AM

As I recall --- Ralph O'Quinn will verbally skin anyone who thins

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2008 12:26PM

Well, you're correct for the most part. Nylon thread won't soak up CP nor epoxy. It doesn't absorb either. But you want the CP to completely penetrate all the tiny open areas that exist between the thread strands and underneath. If it doesn't, finish can seep in there and turn the thread dark in spots. You don't want that. The wrap needs to be encapsulated.

Most of the time thinning is absolutely unneccessary - most CP is already thin enough to do what it needs to do. And, adding more water really isn't doing anything anyway because that part of the formula just evaporates. So you'd just be reducing the percentage of solids in the stuff you're putting on the wraps and actually creating a situation where you may be doing more harm than good.

If you want to see if your current CP is completely encapsulating the threads, make a test wrap and allow a nice wet application of CP. Wait just a little bit and then unwind the thread. Do you see any CP on the blank? If so, you have no reason to thin it - it's already doing all it can do.

One last thing - the idea is sometimes that wraps with CP aren't as strong as wraps made with epoxy alone. Technically this is true, but from a practical standpoint it makes no difference. Wraps made with CP are more than strong enough to withstand any normal fishing situation. The old argument that they must be weak because one can cut off CP wraps with little to no difficulty versus an epoxy only wrap, does not in any way approximate what a guide wrap goes through under actual fishing situations... unless you know of a fish that carries around a knife and plans to come into your boat and start cutting your guide wraps off your rod. In that particular case, don't use CP.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 01:26PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, you're correct for the most part. Nylon
> thread won't soak up CP nor epoxy. It doesn't
> absorb either. > ..............

The CP doesn't soak into the thread? My dad & I were discussing this very subject a few days ago.
With a couple of "off brands" of thread he was using the CP just seemed to just sit on top of the
wraps and not penetrate at all and invariably some of those wraps would be the ones with blotches
or fish eyes. We both agreed that the threads that allowed the CP to "soak" or "wick" into them were
far better for our uses.

The threads do changes color slightly untill the CP dries. If the CP is not soaking into the threads
what is really happening? I don't follow.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 03, 2008 03:03PM

The CP may wick or soak into those areas between the tiny thread strands, but nylon doesn't really absorb anything.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2008 03:06PM

Ah, OK Duh! lol

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: January 03, 2008 04:10PM

If you want the CP to get between the tiny strands it would seem to me that thread tension would become an issue.

Date: January 03, 2008 04:24PM

If the thread is "tight" there won't be much in the way of spaces between the tiny strands. But there will still be some and you can't keep the CP from reaching the blank with tension alone. Not to mention that we only so much tension on our guide wraps anyway.

Date: January 03, 2008 04:24PM

If the thread is "tight" there won't be much in the way of spaces between the tiny strands to fill. But there will still be some and you can't keep the CP from reaching the blank with tension alone. Not to mention that we only so much tension on our guide wraps anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster