I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

s-glass fly rod blanks
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.189.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 01:30PM

My internet searches have been unsuccessful. I'm looking for a 9' s-glass fly rod blank with fast action in 8wt. or 9wt.. I'd settle for a 9' lite power s-glass hotshot blank . Does anyone sell such a thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: s-glass fly rod blanks
Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 02:10PM

I'm not aware of any blank manufacturers who make such a blank, but I will sure be interested to see any other positive responses.
I'd love to get my hands on one!

Walt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 03:40PM by Walt Natzke.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 02:43PM

9' and that line wt is going to be difficult to find. lamiglas used to make an s glass heavy wieght rod and they show up on @#$%& about once every 27 years. lamiglas does make a glass graphite composite blue water fly blank i believe.

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2007 04:29PM

Yeah, I don't know that I could point you to anyone who makes a glass fly rod blank that is 9 foot, 8 weight, OR fast action, let alone all three.

I might give Mark Steffen a call and see if he could whip something up for you though or see if you could find a bait blank that could be used as such.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 06:27PM

about the only thing you can do is go vintage. i have a fenwick 9' 8wt but i am not sure if it is s-glass. sometimes blanks of this type come up on @#$%& . blanks had a different numbering system than completed rods. the blank would be FL 108-8 that would have been fenwicks fast action 9' 8wt. can't tell you if that would be s-glass. probably E glass. the butt would be .720. quite fat with a 5.5 tip. the blank weighed 3 oz. a few months ago some of these monster blanks showed up on @#$%& but my search does not show any right now.

i wouls suggest you go over here: [p097.ezboard.com], and ask if anyone has one they would sell. someone probably picked up one of them back then.

s-glass showed up in the fenwick line somewhere around 1973 or later . the fl 108-8 was in the 1974 catalogue.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 06:30PM

Don't think I've every seen a glass or 9 ft hotshot blank.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2007 11:18PM

Phil,

If memory serves me, I have a couple of Lamiglas 9' 8 weight, FL 1088-H blanks, new in plastic. I don't know if these are s glass, or what (maybe someone else can post if they know). I'm sure I can part with one, if you are interested

I purchased four of these, and the only issue I had with them, was one of the Lamiglas labels breaking apart from age, before I could apply it to the rod!

Chris

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.186.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 09:00PM

Thanks, Chris. Lamiglas has long made a quality product. I'm particularly interested in an s-glass blank. I was hoping an answer to your question would pop up, but no luck so far, so I will attempt to discover the glass type myself. How many pieces is this blank?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.atgi.net)
Date: December 21, 2007 04:28AM

Phil,

I hope you see this response, otherwise I will try to email you later.

They are two piece rods, light orange in color.

chris

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 24, 2007 10:18PM

Angler's Workshop had a bunch of the Lamiglas glass fly blanks last I looked in 7, 8 and 9 weight I believe. These are the one Lamiglas built when glass had it's resurgence about 4 years ago, they were doing a lot of S glass for a while so these may be also. The "in" glass blanks now seems to be the glass salmon/steelhead blanks, Angler's sells a lot of them and factory finished rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster