I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Entry level fly blank for Florida Peacock Bass
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2007 04:38PM

I have a fellow interested in an entry level fly rod for Peacock Bass... casting from land. I'm open to suggestions for suitable 4 piece blanks. Tiger Eye or Forecast seem like good brands at this level. I have never been to Florida and have no experience with Peacock Bass and have no idea which weight rods would be best. Thanks for all answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Entry level fly blank for Florida Peacock Bass
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2007 06:04PM

If they are fishing for them EXCLUSIVELY in Florida ... a 9'0" 9wt will work very well. Light enough to cast all day, yet powerful enough to cast big flies. I would NOT spend too much on the blank and components, peacocks eat rods. However, you are going to need a fast action ... something along the lines of a TFO TiCR would be great since they have a 'no fault warranty' - you will need it. IF they ever want to venture into South America and fish for them, you will need to build them a 10wt or 11wt rod for the bigger fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 17, 2007 06:59PM

David,
I've only fished them twice, only once with a flyrod, the 8 wt flats rod I used was really more rod than needed as they don't make long runs, but pretty much fight in the area you took them from. I wouldn't go over a 7 weight, a Tiger Eye 6/7 or 7/8 would probably be perfect. I think the Tiger Eyes work much better at the lowest number in the 4 piece blanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2007 08:22AM

David,
Any weight rod, 9 or under, would be fine. On a lighter rod the bass can be fought on the butt section. I would highly recommend that you consider the Dan Craft FT 4pc 7wt. At the distances that will be casted, short, a 9wt intermeidate line, or 10 wt floater, would be perfect.
Herb

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2007 10:52AM

I'd stick to a heavier rod - peacock bass are bruisers. Now if you don't overline on the tippet they won't break your rod (they'll break the tippet) but I'd guess you're going to run at least 10lb to 12lb leader/tippet.

I wouldn't feel overgunned for peacock bass with a 9-weight. But that's just me and I'm a light tackle enthusiast.

Date: December 18, 2007 11:47AM

Thanks for all the help. The client fished for these one time using a 5 weight rod and found it ideal. My guess is he must have found a school of young Peacock Bass. I've seen shows where South American Peacocks were caught and they certainly were bruisers. Even if their Florida cousins are less formidable I can see how a 9 weight rod would match up well.

I wonder if there are any Glass or composite blanks suitable for this build which will not cost a bundle? The client is rather new to fly fishing and not willing to spend a lot on this rod. PS ... I will not be offering any warranty.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:03PM

Just tell him not to use a leader or tipper that is stronger than the rod, that should proclude the fish breaking the rod, although he can certainly break it himself if he beats it around enough.

Date: December 18, 2007 12:14PM

Thanks Tom. If I can get him to spring for it I'd like to build on a Diamondglass DFBPT4910 Pack Travel blank. I think fiberglass is a good candidate for these conditions. The extra cost seems a bargain for the peace of mind of the more durable blank.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2007 02:51PM

1. Don't confuse the South and Central American Peacocks with what one catches in the Fl canals.
2. I don't see how you can beat a Dan Craft FT blank for durability. I also do not see the advantage of the less responsive fibreglass over graphite in this situation. These fish are scrappers but not monsters.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2007 09:41PM

The Florida state record I believe is around 9 lbs. The weather is marginal at best for peacocks in Florida and they have had fish kills due to water temps before. The fellow I fished with fishes for them quite a bit and he uses a 6 wt rod most of the time, he uses a 15-20 lb shock tippet as the fish have quite an abrasive mouth. We saw nothing that even approached half the Florida record the day we fished, lots of 1.5 to 3.5 lb fish would be my guess, one may have been at 4 or a little better.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 19, 2007 09:31AM

I agree with the comments that the FL Peacock species (as well as the Panama ones I fished for - Sargentos) are a formidable game fish, but they are not the monsters of S America. I have fished for them with my "6wt" (ERN 6.4) river bass fishing outfit with no problems. In fact, a nice Smallie in current might just as tough to handle. Personally, I think a 6 or 7 wt fast action works great. When I've fished for them there is a lot of casting and a lot of fast retrieves to get their attention and a "8wt" or above rod would wear out my old arms.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 09:42AM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 09:36PM

Nine foot nine wt, Rainshadow RX7 or RX6 depending on your $$. Batson products....Always a good choice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster