I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good blank choice?
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 03:44PM

I finally think I've decided on a blank for my ultralight spinning project: the G-USA B70LXF. I've never built on a G-USA blank before, so I'd welcome any comments--positive or negative--about my choice. I've read that G-USA blanks tend to be thinner but stronger (and often heavier) than competing blanks; here are the B70LXF's specs:

7' long
wt. = 1.67 oz.
tip = 4.5/64
butt = 0.46 in (producing, I think, the extra-fast action)
rated 1/32-5/16 oz
line rating 2-10 pounds

The rod will be an ultralight not because I'll be going after ultralight fish, but because I want to have more fun pursuing typical Tampa Bay inshore fish--especially redfish, speckled seatrout, and spanish mackerel.

As to other options, I chose this after compiling a list of ALL 6'6"-7" ultralight blanks from St. Croix, G-Loomis, American Tackle, G-USA, Batson, and Lamiglas. If I missed anything, please let me know!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 04:22PM by Tom Juster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good blank choice?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 03:59PM

did you look at Batson ?

Date: December 10, 2007 04:21PM

Oops, yes I did (I'll edit my original post to include them)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 04:28PM

I tip my hat to you if you want to "play" with those fish, some of which can be quite nasty, with a "toy" rod - it should match quite well with 4 # line - better get a reel that will hold six miles of it!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 05:26PM

Buy an extra blank while you are at it ... that class of rod is NOT correct for our waters. First stingray, shark or jack ... say goodbye blank!

Date: December 10, 2007 05:54PM

Thanks guys for the advice, but I've fished with a similar blank in the past and I know what I'm doing. I figure on using 8 pound PowerPro (which actually breaks at about 12 pounds) with a super-light mono leader, and set my drag accordingly. Most macs and some trout will probably bite through the leader, but those that don't will be dang fun to bring in.

Jim: you forgot about the TARPON! lol

I certainly won't be the first guy to after 'big' game with undersized gear!

Seriously, 99% of the time I'll be using this rods on the flats around home. Out there we catch 80% trout, 15% redfish, 4% macs and 1% others--including sharks and the occasional permit. If not the flats I'll be tossing into waters boiling with frenzied mackerel or ladhyfish, both of which I've caught many times on ultra-light gear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 05:57PM by Tom Juster.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 05:57PM

Jim,

That blank should be fine, as long as he keeps the line the 'weak link'.

Even if he acidently hooks a 2,400 LB. hammerhead, the LINE should break before the rod does....

Now, if Tom puts 50 pound braided line on the ultra light rod, then he'll need another blank right quick.....be real fun to WATCH, though....

Buddy

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 07:31PM

The physics support the practice of light tackle fishing ... especially if the fish is cooperative. As I noted in another post I know a fellow who regularly landed large Stripers in the surf on a noodle rod with 2 lb test mono. It can certainly be done by a skilled fisherman. The problem I have with the practice is that it seems unfair to the fish. The lengthy fight will undoubtedly wear out the fish to a point of exhaustion. To me this is an unnecessary cruelty tantamount to torture. It violates my concept of sport. Granted, that is just my point of view. In case you have not considered this aspect of the practice I hope you will. If you plan on releasing the fish they may not survive after such a protracted battle. Even if you plan to take them for eating it seems cruel treatment.

Thank you for considering my concerns.

Dave

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2007 09:58PM

Tom J.
I find your statement
“butt = 0.46 in (producing, I think, the extra-fast action)”
Interesting and some what confusing. If you don’t mind would you explain your thoughts?
I’ve never heard or read where the diameter of the butt determines the action of the blank.
Thank You!

Date: December 10, 2007 10:11PM

Steve,

Well, I could very well be wrong. If so, I'd love to be corrected . . .

But as I understand it, "fast" action rods have most of their bend when loaded in the tip, while "slow" action rods involve the butt more. Since stiffness is related to diameter, the relatively large butt diameter of 0.46" (compared to other ultra-lights I looked at) and light tip = 4.5/64" suggests a relatively stiff butt, and a relatively fast action. I think this can also be inferred from the wide line rating of 2-10 pounds also. And of course I'm pretty sure the extra-fast action is implied by the rod's label: "B70LXF"!!

I've always wondered how well one could estimate action from a simple linear extrapolation of taper from the published tip and butt measurements; i.e., (tip-butt)/length. In the set of ultralights I looked at it was a pretty good proxy.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2007 11:28PM

David Gilberg beat me to the punch. I consider any purposefull "undergunning" of tackle for a target species to be unsportsmanlike and not in the best interests of the fisheries that we all should cherish and hold dear. It may be more fun for you, but it's paramount to a death wish for the fish. I'm sorry Tom and all - I know this forum is not the place to state this, but I can't not say it. I feel incredibly strongly about it.

And yes - all things being equal, two blanks built on with identical material, the larger diameter butt blank should produce a faster overall action, and more power in the butt.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2007 09:57AM

I understand what you are saying. I just don’t think the assumption is correct
Base on what you are saying
A 7ft’ rod
With 4.5 tip and
A .600 Butt
Would have to be even faster then the blank you listed.

But Batson lists that blank ISB841 as a fast action blank slower then the model you listed

I could be wrong but my thoughts are that the butt Diameter may have a lot to do with butt strength. But the rods taper and materials make-up are the number one criteria when it comes to the rods action.

Now that may be how G-USA rates their blanks I don’t use or do business with them so I can’t say.

Maybe some one more knowledgeable about blank construction could chip in and help us both understand a little better

Date: December 13, 2007 10:57AM

Rich and David,

Point taken. But it's not like I'm going after 100# tarpon with 4# line (like some people do). 99% of the fish I'll be catching will be less than 5 pounds, and I'll be catching them with 12-pound test line on a rod rated for up to 10 pounds. Like I said above, I've used a rod like this before (just not MINE!) and I can bring a fish in quickly enough to release it safely if I'm not going to eat it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 13, 2007 09:30PM

Tom,
I have a rod on the 65LXF the multi-modulus dual helix construction makes a very durable rod that you can lean on pretty heavily. Wouldn't be my choice for reds but the others should be fine.
I use mine on smallies, browns, etc. up to the weights you mentioned with no problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster