I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss and Steam
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 07:12PM

Would this be an option for accelerating the cure, or would it make some kind of huge mess. Relative humidity is really low right now in this part of the country.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss and Steam
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2007 07:16PM

A tea kettle emitting steam is, in fact, what Ralph recommends in very dry climates.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 07:29PM

Have you had much problem with it drying quickly enough, even when it's fairly low humidity?

We typically have very dry winters here and it still seems to act about the same for me is why I'd asked. I really haven't seen too much change in time of drying. It sure is fast at setting up!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: December 05, 2007 07:59PM

The dewpoint here at the moment is 29 degrees F, making it 37% RH. It seems tac-free after 2 hours, but I'm wondering how long I need to wait after my first coat. Also, TK, how close does it need to be to the tea kettle. I have a computer engineering degree from Clemson (now paying over 2M a year to keep Tommy), not a mechanical engineering degree from Duke, so I'm not as good at figuring how vapor pressure and molecular motion translates into a change in relative humidity as I move away from the tea pot. Now if you want to talk about he migration of holes and electrons through a semi-conductive material...

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: December 05, 2007 08:54PM

Whoa!! Too technical for ol' prairie kid here... There's humid when I don't hardly have to move and I'm sweating, there's that inbetween, where I really can work hard and just sweat a bit, then there's dry... like last night, when my 2 year old grandson and I were playing his favorite - toss him in the Lazy Boy and rock him fast while he rolls all around belly laughing. His 3 inch-long thin, blonde hair was all standing out in the neatest little afro you've ever seen.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2007 08:58PM

The primary problem in dry climates will be how to minimize tiny tiny bubbles that form during the cure cycle. The material balance of the moisture component and the solvent phase within the Perma Gloss have something to do with the outgassing that occurs during the cure. The cure period is affected by the humidity. It must cure slow enouth to allow the gasses to be able to escape. I have talked to Ralph about this and he is has told me that I am fortunate to work in a climate that the relative humidity is normally above 70%. I wait for rainy days to do a Threadless guide to minimize the bubbles and it seems to work. This problem is probably most visible to those who are trying to build a thickness of the Perma Gloss on top of thread in a dry area. A dry area could also be a room in a cold climate with gas heat - put a pot of water on the stove in the same room.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2007 10:05PM

Marty,

If you put a steaming tea kettle on the stove in the same room as you're attempting to dry your Permagloss, you'll be fine. It doesn't take that much to raise the humidity in a small room to the degree that will cause the PM to set fairly rapidly.

Obviously if you have the tea kettle at one end of the house and the rod somewhere at the other end of the house you'll have to pump out a lot of steam to do much good.

Generally you can apply a second coat as soon as the first one isn't tacky. Even in fairly dry climates that would be about an hour. With some steam going, you could likely recoat in half that time. I've found that at 70%+ RH it only requires about 20 to 30 minutes before a recoat is possible.

Date: December 05, 2007 10:46PM

Thanks Tom. I'm just poking fun at you, by the way. Also, Tommy Bowden used to be at Duke; but you probably knew that.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 07, 2007 02:50PM

Hey Marty...

I thought a computer engineering degree from Clemson was good for estimating fthe decomposition rate of hay at 37% relative humidity so you have enough hay to keep the cows fed all winter. JUST MESSING WITH YA. I went to The Citadel so thought I'd poke at someone else from a SC school.

Alex

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster