I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond for tiptops ?
Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 05:39PM

Just assembled a fly rod seat and grip with Rod Bond -- was a bit rushed, so put the tip top on with the Rod Bond, as well. Am I going to be ok with this or should I pull the tip top before it sets up and use 15 minute epoxy (like I usually do) ??

Thanks
Tony M

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond for tiptops ?
Posted by: Matt Davis (64.118.9.---)
Date: December 02, 2007 05:48PM

Don't know what the problem could be with using Rod Bond, other than the long wait.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 05:49PM

The only problem with the RB would be if you had to remove/replace the tip, you might wish you had used 5 min or hot melt glue

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2007 06:55PM

Thanks, Mike -- why might I be sorry ?

Tony M

Date: December 02, 2007 06:55PM

Thanks, Mike -- why might I be sorry ?

Tony M

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 07:02PM

Likely, the heat needed to break the Rod Bond down in order to remove the tip top would be about equal or very close to the adhesive's same break temperature used in the rod blank's manufacturing process. If you need to remove the tip top, just use a Dremel and cut just through the barrel of the tip top in a couple of places and gently pry it off in lieu of using heat-type removal methods.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 07:12PM

Like Putter said, A pain to get off!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 07:25PM

I use nothing but hot melt for that very reason. Never had one to fall off. If someone hung the tip in the rod locker, I had rather see the tip pull off than break the rod.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 02, 2007 07:32PM

Thanks, gang. Just had never done it before -- don't mind the "permanent" attachment, just didn't want to have it come off or twist......

Tony M

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 07:52PM

I used it in a pinch a while back to secure a tip to a fiberglass rod. Recently I have redone the rod, and the blank failed before rod bond did. The blank was planned to be shortened anyways in my case, but I found out just how strong rod bond really is.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2007 09:30PM

Hi Tony,

Just like Putter & Mike said and also be sure your tip is aligned with your reel seat because you will not be able to realign it later.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 12:04AM

Why ask for trouble by using RodBond for tip tops? Top replacement is easier with hot melt and 5 min epoxy. Never can tell when a top might be required in the future.
Stan

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 11:13AM

I only use hot melt now.... after ruining a few tips trying to get top glued on with 5-minute.

For getting tips aligned I glued a level bubble on an old reel stem. I level the seat and bungee it to my v-blocks and then use a couple of 1/4 ounce bullet sinkers with fine music wire attached. The music wire has little hooks bent into the ends. I attach the tip top, then hook a weight on each side of the ring support. All I have to do is warm the tip with my alky touch and gravity levels it perfectly - well, perfect enough for me.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 01:00PM

Excellent idea Chuck ! I gotta try that !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 03, 2007 02:35PM

Yep. With my luck it will be in someone's catalog by the first of the year. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster