I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

super chuck
Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: November 28, 2007 02:21AM

Years ago Dale Clemens used and sold what he referred to as a super chuck.
This was for a very simple lathe to turn handles. He used a shaft holder(sorry, don't
know what it is called), motor and super chuck. There were also three rod supports.
My question is: has any one used this setup and where can I buy one.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: super chuck
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2007 09:52AM

I'll look in one of the old catalogs and see if I can find it. Once I see the part you mention I can probably tell you where to get it.

Date: November 28, 2007 03:16PM

Thanks Tom!

John

Date: November 28, 2007 04:54PM

The only thing I can find is the standard Taig chuck use on both the Renzetti and Custom Power Wrap units. Penn State sells them for about $50 to $60 I think.

Prior to selling the Renzetti lathe, Dale offered a lathe that had a Taig headstock and chuck mounted on heavy plate. There were stand alone rod supports also mounted on heavy plate. They had 2 uprights and both a bottom and top roller bar. Is this the unit you're referring to?

Date: November 28, 2007 05:21PM

Tom,

The setup I'm referring to is pictured on the cover of Clemen's book:
Advanced custom rod building.

John

Date: November 28, 2007 05:21PM

Tom,

The setup I'm referring to is pictured on the cover of Clemen's book:
Advanced custom rod building.

John

Date: November 28, 2007 06:30PM

That looks like Mrs. Kitty Lourie's wrapping jig from her days on NC's Outer Banks. As I recall, it used a common fabric coupler with a large furniture leg tip on the end into which the blank butt was inserted. But I'd imagine that Dale improved the "chuck" before he began selling such a unit. I'm sorry to say I don't know what he used.

Date: November 28, 2007 06:34PM

I take that back, looking again it's more like the old Featherweight commercial rod wrapper that they offered for many years. They used a simple Jacob's chuck and again, I suspect Dale used something a little more adaptable for chucking rod butts. Still don't know what it was, though, I don't have his book and can only see the thing from looking at the back cover of an old Clemens catalog. It's hard to see at that size. If I had better picture of it, I might be able to tell what it is.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 07:31PM

The one on the cover [www.amazon.com] looks just like the one i have, right down to the chuck and headstock. ...'cept I have since added a few more bed rails, rod supports, from renzetti, and a large motor, and a dryer motor mounted to the headstock frame. Since I inherited it many moons ago, I didnt know what it was but was told it was either an old renzetti or clemens lathe. Anyway, I have the PSI CMG3C, CUG3418C Specialty Chuck [www.pennstateind.com] on my mini-lathe and it looks just like the one on my clemens/renzetti lathe, and t hough I havent put them side by side for an exact comparison I can say that the PSI chuck doesnt seems as smooth or easy but that may be due it being newer. Renzetti sells a very similar "looking" chuck [www.renzetti.com] at a higher price but i have no idea how it compares functionally.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 07:48PM by Steven Libby.

Date: November 28, 2007 10:12PM

Those are all Taig chucks. I couldn't see it in the small photo well enough to tell. But the Renzetti lathe has always used the Taig, so to the unit that Clemens sold. So it's possible his earlier one used it to.

Posted by: Andy Cichon (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 06:58AM

Is this the chuck? [www.leevalley.com]

Date: November 29, 2007 10:38AM

That's the Taig chuck, yes. In fact, all the pieces in that photo are of Taig chucks and jaws.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster