I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to Rod Building comment and question on guides
Posted by: Patrick Craig (---.mtp.cmsinter.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:19PM

Well, I came across this website tring to find information about how to fix a front grip or there to go to have it fix. After a few hours of reading I became interested in learning more about rod building and have to say I think I have a hobby to go along with my love for fishing.

I am not much of a reader I like to things done so I bought a how to video and the Rod Building Guide Book by Tom Kirkman. I have been BASS fishing for 3 yrs now and have to say hands down I have learned more about fishing rods in general from Toms book than I have from reading a lot of hours from fishing magizines. The videoto got was helpful but lacked many items to question.

My question is on guide sizes. I understand the placement and testing the placement of the guides but I would like to know as a general rule of thumb what sizes do you start with. Is there a chart method used for each line size within a range between different line sizes.

Example: If I plan on using say a 10lb test line what size guide should I start with.

Well this is the first of many questions to come. Getting excited about building my first rod.

I also want to thank all the sponors for sponoring this form.

Happy Fishing

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Rod Building comment and question on guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:31PM

No charts, it depends on line size, etc. The first guide is on the reel, kind of give you an idea of where to start. You learn huge amounts by reading prior posts and getting some back issues of RodMaker magazine. Than you can just take a day to play with guides and a blank of your choice and you'll soon get a feel for what gives you a lighter, better rod. You just tape guides on a go out in the yard and test cast till you get a feel for it.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:54PM

Depends on the setup, line size, height and width of the spool. But, as a rule always use the smallest guide that will do the job.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 07:02PM

Patrick,

For bass rods I generally use:

Spinning: 25-12-8-sz 6 flys the rest of the way

Casting: 8-6-6 (all two footed)- then sz 6 flys the rest of the way.

The only guides here that may change are the very 1st guide from the reel out. In spinning I may go to a 30 IF the reel being used has a large spool. Generally you want the 1st spinning guide to be about 1/2 the size of the reels spool. In casting I may go to a larger/higher sitting 1st guide if the reel itself sits really high on the blank.

There is not much change from those numbers above on most my bass rods, and that should give you somewhere to start from. I use those 95% of the time for BASS rods.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 11:14PM

Now here's something to confuse you:

For Spinning rods we generally don't go below a 30MM stripper, more likely a 40mm or if it's a surf rod.. For a casting rod, we start with a 25mmor 20mm, sometimes a 30mm. Depends on the reel, the rod length and action, and a whole bunch of similar stuff.

PLEASE don't get bogged down in formulas. Take all the layout formulas as suggestions, or starting points, and build a few rods and refine your layouts each time to maximize your casting distance as well as your ability to hook and fight fish. Read lots of books, starting with Clemens. Read Tom's book - it's a steal at the price and a great "quick reference". Never mind fancy wraps and such - build your first rods for fishing, not for show.

Mess with it. Hopefully you'll get hooked on this just as surely as you'll hook some fish.

Uncle Russ
Calico Crfeek Rods

Posted by: Patrick Craig (---.mtp.cmsinter.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 12:44PM

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Happy Fishing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster