I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RRD guides compared to alconites?
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 02:56PM

I have been thinking about trying the Batson RRD F guides with Hard Aluminum Oxide as a replacement for Fuji Alconites on the bass rods I build. Most of the guys that I build for fish tournaments (as do I ) The abuse we put our rods under as well as putting them in and out our boat rod lockers causes quite a few poped inserts during a season. While I thoroughly enjoy the steady repair work I wonder if the guys I build for would be better served by the RRD frame.

So, does anyone have any experience with these guides? Do they reduce poped inserts? Also, doesnt anyone have an idea of the weight difference between the Batsons and the Fuji's?

Thanks
Scott Sheets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2007 02:56PM by Scott Sheets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RRD guides compared to alconites?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 03:13PM

Scott,

I like the Bastons better, they had a tad higher frame and are every bit as good as the Fuji. I've lost a few Alconite rings but I've not had any trouble to speak of with the Bastons. I dont know if they'll be a better option for you, but I'd surely give them a run.

DR

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 04:45PM

Dont forget to use the New Light Alps XN for the stripper guide and Alps PP top in the 06 ring, they are RRD as well.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 06:39PM

I mainly use Batson blanks on my projects but I've always used Alconites because I thought the Alconite rings were "harder" than aluminum oxide. But the note says "hard" aluminum oxide - is there a difference? Thanks.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2007 07:38PM

I dont see the Alps XN guides in the same 'Blk. Chrome x 2' frame as the F Guides. Am I missing something?

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 10:10AM

You might also consider the American tackel Ring lock guides. They have a cupped frame for the rings to sit in,and are marketed as less likley to pop out. check them out at the American tackel link above or Mudhole.

I'd rather be catching!

Date: November 27, 2007 12:43PM

Part number for the Light Alps SS316 2 x Black with Hard Aluminum Oxide is (XBLXNLG) its in the new products catalog and on my web site these will work with the (XPBFLG) RRD F guide use with the (XBPPLT) Alps tip top..

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 04:11PM

Thanks for the responses. Karry, what is the difference between the ALPS guide and a Batson stripper?

Date: November 27, 2007 04:54PM

The Alps Light XN is noticeably lighter in weight than the Batson Forecast UD guide and the Alps has the RRD feature "Recessed Ring Design" to help from ring pop out and to help protect the ring from hits and dings aka abuse. Both are available in the SS316 Stainless Steel.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 08:35AM

If anyone is interested in obtaining the newer Alps Light XN guides and the matching single foot "Recessed Ring Design' guides from Batson, along with matching tips, just give me a call at 931-684-6164, as we have stock on these.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.jolietcity.org)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:19PM

Karry,
Thanks for the information. Bob, do you also carry the regular Batson guides?

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: November 28, 2007 03:54PM

Scott -- Yes, we carry lots of the Batson/Forecast/Alps guides. If for some reason it is a guide that we don't stock, I order from them at least once a week and sometimes twice. So it is not a problem to have them sent in, if for some reason it is a guide series that we don't stock. Just contact me if I can be of any further help assisting you or others.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster