I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy set time
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 03:37PM

I typically apply 5 to 7 coats of epoxy. I allow a minimum of 8 hours between coats. I generally do a little clean up (sanding/steel wool/Scotch Brite) prior to the last coat so I try and allow the next to last coat of epoxy at least 24 hours before I mess with it. Has anybody tried any epoxy which sets-up a little faster but still has a decent pot life.

Thanks as always,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy set time
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:10PM

What kind of rods are you building that you would apply 5-7 coated of epoxy on?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:18PM

You can apply another coat just as soon as the first is no longer tacky. And, deglossing the top coat isn't neccessary until about 3 days have passed. Until the previous application has reached a pretty good initial cure, you can go ahead and apply another application right on top and still get excellent adhesion. In fact, the best way to do what you're doing, is to apply applications sooner rather than lather. In effect, you end up with one coat, instead of many coats all on top of each other.

For what ever else it might be worth, you can accelerate the set up and cure time of any epoxy by appying heat. For every 20F increase in temperature beyond about 70F, you halve the set and cure time.

Date: November 23, 2007 04:22PM

Believe it or not they are ultra-light spining rods. I have worked very hard over the years to get a look that I like that also performs they way I like it. With my method the end product is a wrap that is fully encased in epoxy - well beyond what is actually needed to hold the wrapping. I simply like the way it highlights the wrap. There are now a number of rod builders in this area that apply the same or at least a similar technique.

Date: November 23, 2007 04:29PM

With that many applications, unless you're putting on very, very thin coats, you're penalizing your rods with excess weight that will definitely undercut the performance of such light rods. But then again, all they have to do is satisfy you. If you can justify any performance loss for a look that you really like, that's your business.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 05:34PM

JIm,

You might want to try the Diamondite finish by Swifty. It's not an epoxy though but it
does have a quicker set up time with lots of pot life. It's also thinner than the high
build epoxy formulas. More closer to the lite versions. Do a "SEARCH" here and
you'll get quite a few posts about it.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 05:58PM

Raymond hit the nail on the head. I'm usually doing at least two coats with epoxy even un an ultra-light, but a coat Diamondite over one coat of their CP and you're done without a heavy build-up. It'll lay down flat as glass with great coverage when used with Diamondite CP.

I've got two Ultra Lights in process right now that are sitting while the Rod Bond in the handles & seats are curing. This is the longest step in the process on these rods, as I'll have them wrapped with CURED finish on them in just a couple of hours. I have a heated dryer box that will have the Diamondite cured in about an hour. Both of these rods are going fishing Sunday!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: November 23, 2007 06:27PM

From what he wrote, I think he wants a lot of build depth on his wraps, thus high build.

Date: November 23, 2007 10:30PM

True, I like a build up on the wraps - more personal preference than anything. I have never had a problem with this technique on a spinning rod however I would not recommend it for a fly rod. I find spinning rods to be far more tolerant to the heavier finish. I'll order the Diamondite tonight!

Thanks,

Jim

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 10:35PM

Jim,
Before you use the Diamondite do a search and see what Jim Gamble has noted.
He has used it a lot and has made some sound "do's & dont's" and helpful hints
for getting the best results. Tim Campbell from Swifty has also done the same thing.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:15PM

Jim,
Epoxy is surprisingly heavy and no more epoxy than is necessary should be used if you want to get the best performance out of the rod you build. For the typical guide on a casting rod the epoxy will weigh almost as much as the guide weighs. That weight reduces the performance of the rod by lowering the rods resonant frequency ( tip velocity) which reduces the casting distance. The weight also reduces the rods sensitivity or feel.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.hba.bmx.wholesalebroadband.com.au)
Date: November 24, 2007 05:38AM

I am amazed Jim that you can get that many coats of epoxy on any rod.!

The most number of epoxy coats, i have ever applied, is on a 37kg s/s game rod and that was 3 !

I use 5 different epoxies in my workshop, I do not know how you can apply so many coats and not overload the rod to the point it is as soggy as spagitti.

I would really be more interested to learn how you do this application.

Cheers

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster