I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathes
Posted by: michael prybis (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:31AM

I am looking to purchase a good lathe to turn some wood and acrylic handles. I am new to turning and don't know which ones are good and which ones are junk. I have been looking at a few different ones and thought I would ask which one you would pick.

The first one is the turncrafter pro midi
[www.pennstateind.com]

The Delta LA200
[www.harborfreight.com]

The Central 8"x12 Mini
[www.harborfreight.com]

The Rikon Mini
[www.woodcraft.com]

The Jet Mini
[www.woodcraft.com]

The Performax
[menards.inserts2online.com]

Being new to rod building and wood turning turning I wanted to keep the price at below 250 yet still get a quality tool. I did buy a beginner's turning book that said you should check to see if the centers line up before you buy a lathe. The only one I was able to do this too was the performax lathe from menards. They where very close to being aligned but they where off center buy about 1 or 2 mm. These are just a few that I have been looking. The Turncraftor is the only one I would have to pay for shipping. I would like input as to the pros and cons of these and which one would you buy. Thanks again for all the help.

Mike P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathes
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:02AM

I would quickly narrow it down to the Turncrafter, Jet or Rikon! I have the Turncrafter Pro and love it but don't think their is much difference between the 3. You might also want to pick up a copy of Andy Dear's video on turning seats and grips.

Keep in mind that just as important (maybe more so) are the chucks, tools, sharpening systems, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 02:00AM

You are going to get a lot of dedicated brand responses here. I personaly have the Delta and its a GREAT lathe. As good as my friends Jet in my opinion....and I have used both at length. Plus it cost me $155 shipped to my door from Amazon. $49 later and I have the variable speed add on and I'm still $200 under the jet. I'll say this, a lathe will NOT make a bad turner better. My friend has a $4500 Oneway and is quite frankly a poor turner. He gets mad when I show him some of the things I made on my >$200 Delta. As Mike said, tools and a good chuck like a Barracuda are essential and are more important in my mind that a lathe with a big name brand stamped on the side.

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 03:15AM

Hey Mike!!!!

Can't help you on the lathes since i have an old 50's era Craftsman. I do however have Andy Dear's DVD on turning handles and seats. You are more than welcome to check it out sometime or just buy your own. You ought to come over for the rodbuilding class I'm putting on later this winter.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:14AM

I have had the Jet for years,, I love it !

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 07:49AM

>I am looking to purchase a good lathe to turn some wood and acrylic handles.

Boy did you open a can of worms <G>

This is really a subjective subject and you will find the lathe-specific-faithfuls coming up out of their wood chips to support their
favorite lathe of the month club.

That being said, I'll throw in my biased 2 cents into the mix.

For me, since money is the issue, I'd do a research and look closely at this available list an narrow it down. What comes up a winner
in my eyes is the performax lathe at menard's if this (240-2961) is the one you are in reference to for $99 especially with variable speed control.

[menards.inserts2online.com]

When you look at what the performax lathe is you will find that it is a part of the WMH tool group [www.wmhtoolgroup.com]
whose family includes the Jet lathe and this looks like (different color scheme) the mini-jet which is also sold under the Wilton name.

You will spend more money on a good chuck and lathe tools and then it becomes even more subjective to what kind of sharpening
system you use.

Oh, I bought the one at Menards when they sold it under the Wilton name and I've had friends over and look at it and the only
difference they find between mine and their Jet is the color.

Now if you want some more than decent tools to learn with don't pass up the HF lathe tools. I bought them to learn on and didn't
want to buy sorbey's and mess then up learning how to sharpen them so I bought the HF's. They are not bad tools at all and keep
a decent edge to them. Plus I have some 20% off coupons that sway my position quite easily <G>

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 08:40AM

A metal turning lathe might do what you want, and offer even more utlility!

Posted by: John Britt (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 08:59AM

Michael I think before you but any lathe you really need to set down what you plan to do with it now and in the future this is difficult but turning can be as addictive as rod building.
One thing I would have to have now is variable speed, I have it on my big lathe and it does save time and some aggravation, the jet variable speed is hard to beat but any of the lathes mentioned will do- you might check out Rockler they also have a mini lathe now and I wouldn't doubt they are all made in the same couple of factories
my idea get the very best you can afford
John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2007 09:29AM

All these lathes share a common parent and all are made in the orient. I've been able to use all the lathes you list here and for me, the Rikon offers the best value. It has a little more swing, a little more length and a little more motor than the others and often sells for less money.

In the end, they're all pretty darn good lathes for the money. I don't think you'd be dissatisfied with any of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 12:34PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 10:38AM

Some good advice here - I have the Jet Mini - it's a great little lathe, kind of the gold standard in mini lathes. That being said, I think the TC Pro is actually just as good as the Jet - and it has a bit more bed length, which would be nice to have. The Rikon had some quality issues when it first came out that have apparently been resolved - by all accounts it's alot of lathe for the money - more swing, etc. I would HIGHLY recommend against buying the Performax or anything made by Harbor Freight. The Performax has a #1MT head and tailstock - it's difficult to get a wide range of accessories to fit this lathe, and it's seriously underpowered for anything more than light spindle turning work. Harbor Freight = junk. If you are like most people, you buy a lathe saying "I want to turn a few handles and reelseats". Next thing you know, you are trying your hand at bowls, lidded boxes, pens, and etc. DON'T sell yourself short on the lathe - buy one that will hold you for awhile. I have the Jet Mini - I'm already looking for a Jet 1642VS or even a Powermatic3520 - I enjoy woodturning as much as rodbuilding :-) So from your list, the TC Pro, Rikon, Jet, or Delta are the 4 choices - all are very good.

As others have said, accessories and a sharpening system are as important as the lathe itself - maybe more so. As for tools - I have not used the HF tools - I have used and can say that the Benjamin's Best tools made by Penn State are a good value for the money. I have a couple BB bowl gouges and they cut as nicely as a Sorby or Crown tool. Don't spend money on carbon steel tools - buy high speed steel (HSS) - you can grind them hotter, so they are more forgiving for a beginner, and they hold an edge MUCH longer than carbon steel. Not sure if the HF tools are HSS or carbon? It's kind of hard to swallow, but the bottom line is you have to buy some decent tools and the necessary accessories along with your lathe, otherwise your experience with learning to turn will be frustrating and not very rewarding. Here's my list of what you need to get started:

1) Lathe (obviously!) Main requirements in a midi lathe are #2MT and a 1"x8TPI spindle. Variable speed is very nice, but not necessary. I don't have it, my next lathe (which will be much bigger) will have it.
2) 4 jaw scroll chuck - PSI's Barracuda is a great value, also the Nova Midi is a nice chuck for a reasonable cost. Some will say buy a 3 jaw chuck - they are great for holding a round mandrel, that's about it. Buy a 4 jaw, it will do everything a 3 jaw will do and more.
3) Oneway Wolverine sharpening system and 8" slow speed grinder with friable aluminum oxide wheels - in my AAW club, every serious turner has this setup - it's tough to beat.
4) Tools - a 3/4 skew, a 3/4 scraper, an 1/8" parting tool, and a 3/4" roughing gouge will get you started very nicely. You may want to add a 3/8" spindle gouge at some point.
5) Grip turning mandrels - I found a local machinist who made some for me, and then I adapted one for holding wood grips - Andy Dear (Lamar's) mandrels are great! I want his DVD badly, just haven't bought it yet!
6) 2x2 pine cut into 8-10" lengths. Practice, practice, practice!

I'd recommend getting a hold of some turning books or DVD's too - anything by Alan Lacer is good - he's a great spindle turner. Or better yet - find a local AAW (American Association of Woodturners) club and join - I can't even begin to tell you how it has helped me!!!

Watch Amazon closely - frequently they have free shipping, etc. I got my Jet 1014I (new model, indexing head) for $199 w/free shipping.

I'm still a relative beginner on the lathe, but fell into some good deals on my Jet Mini, Nova Midi chuck, and Wolverine/Grinder setup that allowed me to get it all in a relatively close time frame. I honestly don't think you can give up any of the components and still end up learning and producing without beating your head against a wall!! I'm sure others have different opinions, but that's been my experience, and I'm sticking to it :-)

Also - if you do a search on here, you will find a ton more information!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 10:45AM by Rich Handrick.

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:15AM

I would have to agree on joining a turners club. If you don't have a club in your area, try to find someone with turning experience to spend an hour or so with you. Safety is such a big concern with using the lathe. Andy Dear's DVD is excellent, but I feel you need some basic lathe experience before you rely on it.

I drove 140 miles to another city to take a class in turning bowls. The basic techniques i learned are invaluable----------but i haven't turned another bowl since.

Herb

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:35PM

I have the Rikon and love it. It's performed flawlessly for me so far and I've cut everything from cork to acrylic with it. I like the extra length as you'll not need to buy a bed extension unless you're cutting some really long grips. The Rikon has a few extra features that seem to be just "trinkets", but once you start using them you'll appreciate every one of them.

DR

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:51PM

Hello Michael,
I just began turning about a year ago. I also looked at the Jet, Delta, and PSI Trucrafter Pro with variable speed. I was able to examine the Jet and The Delta, but not the PSI Truncrafter Pro. I also could not find a Rikon to examine. Based on comments from some of the turners on this forum and the fact that I was on a pretty tight budget, I ended up choosing the PSI Turncrafter Pro. I also bought the bed extension because I wanted to ream my grips on the lathe. The bed extension enables me to move the tail stock to the end of the lathe and easily mount a 12 inch grip onto the reamer. I also chose the Nova Midi chuck which was available from Amazon who was running a promo at that time giving $30 off any single purchase. Like many turners, I began with very inexpensive toolsl and rapidly bought a better set. Now I am replacing these one tool at a time to get high quality tools that will last several years. I currently hand sharpen my tools. In time I will get a sharpening system. I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:52PM

Michael,

I made my selection primarily for turning cork grips. One of the criteria for me was a bed length (without extension) long enough to turn grips for spey rods and other long applications. The TC Pro fit this bill with a 17" between centers bed, and a 1" 8 TPI head stock, #2 Morse tapers. It's very easy to find accessories for. I didn't want to get a smaller lathe, with a bed estension so this drove my choice more than anything.

I've since learned this is a good quality tool and very comparable to all the others on the list you've metioned so I don't think you can go wrong with your top 4 choices. Do spend the time to list the type of work you plan to do, and buy as much tool as you can afford. I made the mistake of buying on off @#$%& that had a wierd headstock thread. I ended up selling it to a coworker and buying the TC Prol.

Good luck and good turning.

Terry

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:33PM

I will also encourage you to choose among the Jet, Delta, Rikon and TC Pro. Next get the best 4 jaw chuck you can afford. The Barracuda is a good basic unit but the better ones permit one hand locking. This is a very nice feature but the Nova 2 and my preference, the Titan, will cost a bunch more. Good turning tools and sharpening system are also vital.

I will be the first to mention dust management. The importance of this will become apparent very quickly. Cork dust is particularly insidious so I suggest you plan ahead and avoid a major headache. Mike Barkley has posted photos showing how to use a 3M Filtrete Furnace Filter and a box fan to trap airborne dust behind the lathe. A shop vac attached to a lathe mounted hood will do a great job. If you have other power tools consider a multi-tool set up. It will be worth it's price many times over.

A buffing system is a real time saver. My personal dream is to dedicate a separate mini lathe for use with a three wheel buffing system. Until then I'll go with one cotton wheels on a bench grinder.

Safety issues are paramount. I bought a full face shield on Amazon for about $20. It protects far more than any safety glasses can. An apron or smock is a good idea as well. They will protect you from flying particles as well as prevent any part of your clothing from getting caught in the lathe.

Good lighting is both a safety and performance item. So is a sturdy platform for the lathe.

Andy Dear's "The Wood Lathe in Rod Building" is a very helpful companion.

Fortunately we do not need many turning tools for rod building applications. So once we are up and running the expenses will be limited to the stock, some super glue and polish. That's when the real fun starts.

I wish you many years of happy turning.

Dave

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 05:44PM

Out of your list, I prefer the Rikon. I have not turned on one, but I sure like the features and price and size of the lathe in the store. I bought a little Delta and gave it to a friend. It is a nice little lathe too. I like 3-jaw self centering chucks better than the 4 jaw Nova ( I have both). What I want a chuck to do is to grip a roughed out round blank so that I can drill it to put it on a rod or a manderal for further turning. The Nova wobbles and does not grip enough surface. The 3-jaw is accurate and solid.z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2007 05:45PM by Bill Moschler.

Posted by: michael prybis (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:28PM

I would like to say thanks to all of you for your input. I have decided to purchase the Rikon Mini Lathe from woodcraft. They are presently sold out at the moment but are expecting a shipment in on Monday. I am looking forward to experimenting and possibly turn a few handles and reel seats. Thanks again for all the great help. I would also like to thank Tom Kirkman for a great site. I am looking forward to building my 2nd rod and hopefully more to come.

Mike P.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 10:12PM

One thing....if you are new to turning, I don't recommend you start with acrylic real seats....they are frustrating for me sometimes and can be very difficult to work. Stick with wood for a bit. Hit up any cabinet shops or molding shops and ask for their scrap. They will normally give you some very decent cherry, mahogony, maple, and oak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster