I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Excessive finish buildup under guide eye?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:31PM

When I began building fly rods using snake guides, my first step was to put a drop of finish in the "tunnel" area with a toothpick and then complete the rest of the wrap. Now that I'm using ceramics on everything now, I seem to wind up with a tad more finish under and in back of the guide eye than I want. Since I use the Forhan lock exclusively, I'm wondering if the "pocket" caused by this wrap allows extra finish to get trapped in that tunnel area now when I rotate my blank 180 degrees - guides up then guides down - before I start the dryer motor.

Since I always use two thin coats on my wraps, should I not fill that tunnel on the first coat (or not at all) and would rotaing the blank with the guides from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock also help to keep finish from collecting in that pocket? I'm putting on the second coats now so I can't experiment at the moment. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Excessive finish buildup under guide eye?
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:51PM

Tim,

I've found that I don't 'need' to try to get the finish into that area. When I apply the first coat, I make sure that I flood the wrap all the way to the end of the locking wrap, then I use the brush and a paddle to take off as much of the finish as I possibly can. The finish wicks into the tunnels perfectly, and I don't get that little unsightly 'drop' of finish under the guide foot/ring jucntion.

Like you, I use two thin coats of finish (Flex Coat High Build). But, it sounds like I'm using less that you are, since I don't need to turn mine at all. I just apply the second as thin as I can and let it level.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 12:59PM

Tim,
Regardless of the type of guide I use, I always fill the tunnel alongside the guide foot with epoxy - to create a "shoulder" of finish along the foot to keep the foot from sliding laterally. I do so this on the first coat, which I believe is fairly common among rod builders. The method used to fill the tunnel may vary though. Some have written that they use something like a toothpick to place finish into the opening of the tunnel. This method may be very effective, but I worry that placing epoxy at the opening may actually trap air in the tunnel.

The method I use actually pushes epoxy through the thread wraps and into the tunnel. My epoxy application is done on a low hand wrapping stand, not on a motorized lathe. I apply a generous amount of epoxy on each side of the guide foot and while applying to the rest of the wrap the glob begins to sink through the wrap and into the tunnel. I aid the penetration by pressing the flat side of my brush against the wrap which forces epoxy through the thread, which in turn forces air out of the tunnel. When I see epoxy starting to approach the opening of the tunnel I know that it's completely full. By this time I've applied the amount of epoxy I want on the rest of the wrap and move on to the next wrap. I usually apply the epoxy to the guide feet area one guide ahead of the one I'm working on so it has time to seep in.

When all guides are coated to my satisfaction I place the sections into my mechanized dryer, but rotate by hand (180 degree turns) for about five minutes before turning on the dryer. After about another five minutes I stop the dryer so the guide feet are facing up, and then swipe a bodkin needle across the gap at the base of the guide to remove excess epoxy that may be wicking up the guide foot. The timing is such that the epoxy is still soft enough to remove, while still allowing any disturbance I've created to settle down.

This method works for me, the tunnel is full and excess epoxy is gone.

Edit: I should have noted that I do not use color preserver on my guide wraps.

Jeff Shafer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2007 12:42PM by Jeff Shafer.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: November 21, 2007 01:02PM

One thing I have done and I think it was a tip gotten on this board. After the finish has set up some in my dryer, I take some thread and use it to take away the extra epoxy under the guide ring area. I also have found if you flood the thread with the first coat and then take away as much as you can, the tunnels do get filled just fine. I take away enough epoxy so when the first coat is dry, you can still feel and see the threar ridges. The second coat finishes it off.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 10:16AM

We place CP in the channel. The thin viscosity allows the CP to penetrate into the area and force the air out through the threads. We let it dry thoroughly and then continue.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: November 22, 2007 11:06AM

Tim, use the thread method, works like a charm

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 22, 2007 12:30PM

I use a disposable flosser [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster