I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Fish Any Where and Wheel's Reels Surf Blanks On Sale
Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2007 06:52PM

This is the first time we have offered any discount on these blanks , and the discount applies only to the ones we have in stock . You may want to call to check availability .

Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Fish Any Where and Wheel's Reels Surf Blanks On Sale
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2007 07:40PM

The AFAW blanks have been recieving rave reviews up here in the North East. Everyone I spoke with who has tried them loved how well they cast and how great they fished. Looking foward to seeing them at teh 2008 High Point show.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:01AM

Billy -
I've seen the line-up of blanks. They're beautiful. The 60/40 split Fusion is an absolute "dream stick". I'd say it's the best surf rod for heavy wave action and long sloping beaches - Lewes & Fenwick, Delaware; Outer Banks, N.C; Assateague Island, Maryland. I've had 2-3 people ask me to build on these. I just couldn't justify the cost/blank. It's a 'personal thing' (or maybe I need to up my prices) - I like to provide fishermen with a cost-effective final product. At $250.00 per blank plus shipping people's faces go a little pale & their hands stop on the way to the back pocket after we start adding on the other (deservedly) high-end components plus bench time. Perhaps if I were physically located closer to one of those beaches the fishermen I routinely deal with would understand that this blank is made for the conditions that they'll face.
If Robert /Ray have them at the show I'll get one --- FOR ME, build it then put it in a customer's hands. That's really all it takes I think to sell the blank - put the fisherman on a beach that needs a rod blank capable of 8 N bait but doesn't feel like a telephone pole in the hand.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 11:13AM

Ken,

The Fusion is a Wheels reels blank, not AFAW; I agree it is a very nice rod. I am looking forward to seing the AFAW line in High Point.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Date: November 18, 2007 11:27AM

Walt
Absolutely correct! FISHSTICKS4U are also offering "in stock / on sale" on Tony Wheeler's rod blanks. I'd like to offer these to customers but I just can't afford to lay out enough $$ to qualify for Tony's minimum blank order.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2007 12:36PM

Ken, I am not familiar with the Wheels & Reels blanks, but the AFAW blanks are well within reason price wise for comparable graphite blanks from other surf rod companies.

THere are a few of the AFAW blanks floating around the North East, they were wrapped by a couple of builders and passed around to a bunch of surf fishermen for testing and feedback. So far everythign has been positive, that I have seen. From what I hear they are a real ThumbBurner...hopefuly Jim sees that and gets an lol.

Date: November 18, 2007 10:55PM

I watched the AFAW video -- Amazing! Simply amazing - 4 oz of lead 500+feet is certainly impressive... I can feel the pain inmy right thumb burning just watching it - and it didn't look like he even pushed the rod as hard as it would take.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 12:11AM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched the AFAW video -- Amazing! Simply
> amazing - 4 oz of lead 500+feet is certainly
> impressive... I can feel the pain inmy right
> thumb burning just watching it - and it didn't
> look like he even pushed the rod as hard as it
> would take.

Hi Ken,

You may find this link interesting.

[breakawayusa.com]

Brenda is in the Women's division
Jacob is in the Youth division (under 18)
Bill is in the Senior's division (65+)

I have seen Bill cast on numerous times in the 480 to 500 foot range. At one time he was using a Breakaway LDX. The last time I saw him he was using a Zziplex. Bill is either 80 or 81 years young.

Don

Don Becker

Date: November 19, 2007 12:19AM

Thanks! Definitely out of my class I routinely "kersplash" at about 30 feet - or watch the unattached weight sail out of sight . Clearly a coordination / technique issue at the butt end of the rod for me.

Date: November 19, 2007 12:28AM

A little off subject: Neal and James tossing (casting) baseballs out of Oriole Park (2002)

[www.longcasters.org]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:54AM

DOn - the way it's been explained to me - the Zipppy's are superb casing rods, but like many of the rods designed for Distance Casting Competitions - they do not fish very well. THE AFAW, and I will assume the Wheels & Reels - will do a great job Distance casting, and are excellent to fish with. SInc I don't fish with anything over 8', I have no idea for myself.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: November 19, 2007 08:28PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little off subject: Neal and James tossing
> (casting) baseballs out of Oriole Park (2002)
>
>
Hi Ken,

A few years back I was asked to join Neil Mackellow and Roger Mortimore in a casting demonstration in Florida.
It was great to witness up close Neil's casting expertise. I offered Neil the opportunity to cast my rod and reel. Neil looked at my 6/0 and said something about not being a fool. Roger did take up the challenge and did exceptionally well. Roger caused quite a stir in the UK when he cast 8 ounces a distance of 795 feet. Later I was able to tap into Roger's expertise when he made an around the world fishing and casting tournament tour. On his stop in Honolulu, he conducted a casting workshop. Hopefully Neil will one day make it to Honolulu.

Baseballs? Why not apples? The folks in the UK know how to have a good time!

[myfishcasting.org]

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster