I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Spey blank to build?
Posted by: ed garner (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 09:36AM

I am new to Spey rods and want to build a rod to learn how to cast. Considering several all in the 13' - 7 to 9 wt range. Blanks being considered include Forcast, Sage VT2 and a Loop yellow. Having no knowledge of Spey rods can anyone help me in blank selection. Cost for a rod to learn how to cast is a consideration. I know how to build graphite rods and have built and fish several.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Spey blank to build?
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: November 12, 2007 09:55AM

I have built on Forcast.. like it.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 02:09PM

We sell CND spey blanks. You may wish to consider them as well.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: ed garner (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 03:12PM

Where do I fnd them on your website? The downloaded catalogue is at least 2 years old.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 08:08PM

Due to the popularity of the Forecast Spey blanks, which by the way is a GREAT CHOICE. We have now come out with the Rainshadow RX7 Spey rod blanks. They feature the Traditional Spey actions* Light overall weight*Technical blend of RX6 & RX7 graphite material for a perfect blend of Strength, Action, and power. They all come in 4 pc with the Matte Clear finish. The following are the new models:
IF1266-4M = 12'6" 6wt spey, 4pc, butt - .467, tip 4.5, 4.13oz = MSRP $126.82
IF1307-4M = 13', 7wt spey, 4pc, butt - .495, tip 5.0, 4.33oz = MSRP $152.71
IF1368-4M = 13'6", 8wt spey, 4pc, butt - .512, tip 5.5, 5.08 oz = MSRP $157.24
IF1409-4M = 14', 9wt spey, 4pc, butt - .585, tip 6.0, 6.03 oz = MSRP $166.29

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for your support.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 10:17PM

CND supposedly makes a beautiful blank, I'll find out soon enough. Beulah is another great option, I'm not sure what sponser carries them though.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 11:33PM

R.B. Meiser, a sponsor here, carries a line of blanks/rods that are world class, if he couldn't put you on the right path with components, reels and lines to match his blanks, and what you think you want to do with them, I don't think anyone could help you. Angler's Workshop carries Beulah and maybe a half dozen other brands of spey blanks, saw some dandies on sale last I was in there from different popular manufacturers.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 01:24AM

My choice will always be Forecast/Rainshadow...Best bang for the buck!

Paul

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 06:12AM

I'm going with a T&T two hander blank. For my purpose which is to fish the surf of Cape Cod. You might want to check out [www.speypages.com] . There is a lot of info on Spey rods on this site.
Bill

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2007 10:24PM

Ed, if you can indicate what type of single hand rod action you prefer the type of fishing you normally do (with some example blanks), and whether you tend to "overline" your rated rods, it will help in recommending a suitable two hander.

Posted by: ed garner (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: November 16, 2007 04:07PM

I fish a varity of single handed rods that depend on what and where. all rods build from blanks except IM6 and RPLXi
10' 7wt XP with 223 grains ot T-8 tied to 25 lb Amnesia
9' 6 wt Winston Boron (6 years old so no the new boron) - 190 garins T-8, 6wt intermediate sinking line , 6wt WF floating line (trout), 7wt WF saltwater line
10' 5wt XP - DT taper 5 wt line
8'9" Sage SP - 5wt WF and 5wt DT
9' IM6 5wt Winston - 5wt DT
9' 8wt Boron - 8 wt saltwater
9' 10wt Sage RPLXi - 10 wt saltwater

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster