I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft FT1006 - 4 set up
Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn.)
Date: November 10, 2007 09:39PM

Wow this is a great site!
Well, my FT 1006- 4 is on the way and I had a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. I plan on using it as my primary steelhead rod for the Lake Erie and Ontario (eastern shore) tribs I most often frequent. I want to set it up as a switcher even though I will probably start off useingit as a nymphing rod so over time I can get the most out of this blank. I've noticed in the archives that many are building this blank with a total of 8 guides. Dan had recomended 10 or 11 and I am curious as to why 8 would be an advantage except for the obvious wieght of the extra guides.
Does it have something to do with application? as in a strickly nymph rod vs spey? Another question would be guide sizes I had planned on 2 strippers (16,12) then 5, 4, 3 and 2 to the tip wich would be of the large loop type. Does this sound right? I personally like snake guides which I really don't want to debate here, as I know a lot of people prefer singles.
I understand the front grip should be somewere around 10 1/2" and the Rear 3 1/2" so I guess I'm good with that. My last question would be what line size or more appropriately grain wieght (thanks Bob M.) would be appropriate for this rod if used as a switcher? Does anybody have any first hand experience? I am new to spey priciples and line types and could use a little more direction and to Dans credit he admits this is not his area of expertise either. Thanks All

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2007 04:50PM by Joe Baylog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft FT1006 - 4 set up
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2007 10:00PM

You only need about 3 guide sizes on any rod. Going through all the various sizes is just something many have done over the years because the factories offer them - not because there's any advantage. In fact, using all the sizes available just adds weight and usually creates a less straight line path. If you already know that you can use #2 snakes and pass all your required connections, you could just as easily go 16 - 12 and then use all #2's the rest of the way out. Stick in one #4 there if you feel better about it. Such a set up will work as well or even better than hanging all those extra guide sizes on the rod.

I'd most likely use 10 or 11 guides on this blank as well. You might get by with less if you're very careful with your spacing.

Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn.)
Date: November 11, 2007 11:45AM

thank you Tom
Maybe #2's would be slightly on the small side with the connections (loops) of a spey line I wonder if 3's would be more appropriate?
again I am new to the spey thought process my usual Dt or Wf fly line would easily pass through a #2 but maybe not a head system.
I imagine the larger guide size would also help with iceing. I've always progressed down to the running guide size mostly because I thought it looked better but your point on unnecessary wieght is well take especially on a longer rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2007 04:43PM by Joe Baylog.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2007 06:50PM

Guides are not stacked up right against each other. The transition from a #6 to a #2 is every bit a smooth as one from #6 to #5. Just get right on down to the smallest running guides you're going to use and skip all the in-between sizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster