I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacific Bay fly rod blanks
Posted by: Robert Cross (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2002 11:59AM

Has anyone had any experience building a rod from a Pacific Bay blank? Are their blanks as good a quality as G.Loomis? Within their product line do they have a blank comparable to G. Loomis GL3?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacific Bay fly rod blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: September 23, 2002 03:32PM

Robert,

I saw your post sitting here unanswered and thus thought I would help as much as I can. I haven't built on their blanks but have seen quite a few. They look great! Nearly anyone you speak to who has used one will tell you about what a great value they are. Great performance at a sensible price.

Pac Bay now has about 5 different blank series so it's easy to find what you want.

I know that some of the guys here have and do use them. Hang on a few hours and maybe they'll chip in.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: September 23, 2002 03:34PM

I've built a number of Pac Bay rods. Fit & finish is generally excellent.
In fact, my favorite Silver Salmon rod is a PAC Bay 4 piece 9wgt converted to a spinning rod. It's got great sensitivity and backbone for excellent control.
Check out their web site (On the left) for comparable blanks. Pac Bay doesn't list modulus numbers, at least I didn't see any, so I would suggest you compare blank weight to get a close approximation. Maybe someone else has a better comparison method.............

Posted by: Clint Doak (---.portland-18-19rs.or.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 23, 2002 08:33PM

Robert,
My first rod is a Pac Bay. It is a heavy fly rod I was going to use on Northern Pike but i moved during the season and the only fishing I have done with it this year is in the yard, but is casts great. Maybe it is because it is my first rod but I like the product. Give them a try.
For what it is worth.

Clint

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit20rh15rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 23, 2002 08:38PM

I've built a number of their heaiver weight (7wt+) and longer length 10' Traditional Series (Plum Colored) fly rod blanks, some converted to spinning application but this also voids the warrenty. I have built them for a number of years and they have recently under went a change in proportion. Butt and tip dimensions have changed. Not as much overall taper, and more material in the thicker tip section. The Traditional is a their lower end series and comperable to the old (circa 1980) G-loomis IM6 blanks also plum colored and an outstanding blank with a great reputation for durability. Retail priced for approx. $50.00-$60.00. I've seen some bends in the tip section. I personally beat a old dim. 10' 8wt senseless on Salmon/Steelhead and that was one of my favorite rods and it could take a beating. I lost it to a ferrule sesure, despite lube, and they replaced it with a 7wt. As for being comperable to G-Loomis's higher grade models, GL-3 and above, I'd say it falls short, as its leans more toward the GL-2. Pac Bay makes a couple of series above the Traditional Series that may be comperable with upper end G-Loomis but they get a bit pricey and when people start to plunk that much money down they want a recognizable NAMEBRAND. Pac Bay dosen't even supply you with a "PAC BAY" label. Now the old Traditional series was advertized as IM6, 43 mill mod. but this can be some what of a misnomer, as IM6 graphite is/was known to be of a specific 39 mill mod. graphite, so you have to take the naming of the older models that bandied about the IM6 moniker with a grain of salt. Component wise it was better than IM6 label infered. The Traditional Series blanks are now made overseas (once made in the USA) possibly with supplied mandrals, and spec's, but these blanks are farmed out and about and one country could make them this year and another country the next. Overall they are strong rods, not too heavy, and hit a price point most my customers can digest, but they don't keep you in the business of building rods as your main source of income in this range.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: September 23, 2002 11:49PM

Pacific Bay Tradition series blanks are now supplied with a 'rub on' decal in metallic gold.
The 'decal' has the Pacific Bay logo, series and, model specs. You can use all or part of it.

Andy Snedden

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: September 24, 2002 09:47AM

Robert,

I have built the Pac Bay 9' 4 wt in the tradition. I have built the 9' 3 wt Rainshadow in the IM-6 (when it was IM6 and not RX7) and matte grey. I found the action to be nearly identical on them. The 8'6" 4 wt Rainshadow in green and the 9' 4 wt pac bay also had almost identical actions. I figure that the 9' 4 wt Pac Bay and the 9' 4 wt green Rainshadow would have the same action and feel. They are essentially the same price range. My point? Go with the rainshadow.

I'll use the rainshadow and the Pac Bay blanks interchangably, but only if the customer wants a plum colored blank. Rainshadow blanks are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty. Why would I go to a Pac Bay?

Rick Koontz
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: September 24, 2002 11:17AM

Rick,

Although the Pacific Bay Tradition blanks are not made in the USA they carry the same transferable limited lifetime warranty as the Rainshadow blanks from Batson Enterprises (which are made in the USA).

Andy Snedden

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster