I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

N.W. river salmon rod
Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:24PM

Being in S.W. florida I don't build many salmon rods. I have a regular customer who is going out to Washington state salmon fishing in the rivers. He wants me to build him a travel spinning rod for salmon. Now I have built rods for the salmon river in upstate Ny but they were for a relatively small river. I need some suggestions for blanks and set up for this. Keep in mind it's a travel rod. Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: N.W. river salmon rod
Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:48PM

Check out the harrison Avon, 11' 4 piece from Mark Crouse, Sponsor on the left "The Rod Shop"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 02:52PM

Billy;
I would email Karry or Bill Batson with this question. That is were they live, fish, sell components, and build rods from. I would think that either of them might be the best source of info you could get.

They don't always check the board so you might get a faster response emailing them directly. If you don't have their email addresses? email me directly and I will send them to you

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 03:00PM

Most use a 10' to 12 ' rod up here. Any of the quality blank options will work just fine. I usually build them as sprial wrapped casting rods. Some clients prefer spinning rods so it's pretty much what your client prefers.

I can look up some of the blanks I have used with success if you want specific data. Angler's Workshop or Utmost Enterprises are two of the local regional sponsors that can help you. I can as well, but I limit out at 10' on blanks. Either of these others are good to work with and can provide what you will need in the way of advice and components.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 03:07PM

Angler's Workshop TSH 86 MH4 or the TSP 90 H3 depending on species and technique. Personally the TSH blank for spinning. Much like the Loomis and Rainshadow 1025s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 03:10PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 03:13PM

Most of the salmon rods I have are 8'6" or 9', especially if it is to be a travel rod. I would stick with 9' or less with a single ferrel in the middle. They have a lot of rod cases that will accomodate that size. Most use casting rods, not spinning, but as stated above the customer should get what they want. Lamiglass or G-loomis is a good choice for blanks as they are both located in Woodland Wa. and they put out some good salmon rods and blanks. Angler's Workshop carries the both Lami or G-loomis.

It might be good to ask the customer line weight and what size of fish they anticipate catching. Some of the rivers tend to produce smaller salmon that could get away with a rod like a GL-2 rate on the light side (10-20lb), but if they are fishing rivers known for producing big Kings that will get to 30-50 lbs you may want to go a little heavier. I have caught many Salmon in the NW with my Lamiglass and GL-2 rods.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 03:22PM

Billy,
we have a travel blank we designed specifically to cover the many varied fisheries that you might encounter up here. The model number is XT1023H, it is 8'6", 3pc., 12-25 lb. line, 1/2 - 1 3/4 oz lure.

Todd R. Vivian

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 07:08PM

Two piece only: This is set up for casting let me know if you need spin set up!
Description:
Rod Blank Model # XST1025F-TC
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG14A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-10.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPCT06R005.0
1st guide from tip top LTCUDCG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCUDCG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCUDCG06
4th guide from tip top LTCUDCG07
5th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG08
6th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG08
7th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG08
8th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG10
9th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG10
10th guide from tip top: LTCUDCG12
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.75-7.75-12.25-17.25-23.5-30-37-45-54-63.5

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: November 05, 2007 10:04PM

The three piece blank that Todd mentions would be a good choice although I have never had a problem traveling with the typical 2 piece 8 1/2 or 9 footers. In fact I have travelled to Alaska many times with my 8' one piece back bouncer. Overall I think your client would have a serious disadvantage using a spinning rod any NW Salmon fishery I have participated in. Spinning rods do not lend themselves well to the types of presentations used here. All of the NW rod blank suppliers / manufacturers offer a good variety of blanks that are technique specific. If we knew what techniques and where your client wishes to fish the folks out here we could really dial him in. The blanks mentioned above are good choices for a all around salmon rod. I figure I need at least four different rods for my local area.

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: November 06, 2007 02:33PM

I am trying to get more info out of the customer and he insists he will be specific in a couple of days. I will keep you all up to date as soon as he finalizes his plans this week. He is a regular customer and i really want to keep him happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster