I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Better long ultralight rod ideas? case study
Posted by: Timothy M ONeill (---.albyny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 07:47PM

I just build another longer ultralight (my third attempt), this one from a 8' 4 wt cabelas traditional fly blank. It casts very well, but, I am a bit dissapointed with it overall. It feels poor in the hand (tip heavy and not very sensitive). I think part of the problem is the fuji guideset a friend gave me (he bought it and never used it). But I think most of it is the blank and design. I know an eight foot rod is never going to feel quite like a 5 foot rod, but I think I can do better.

So I want to design and build a 6'6"-8' foot ultralight spinning rod that knocks my own socks off.
Any suggestions are welcome. I am thinking of using jann's flexlite guides in 20-10-6 all the way to the tip.

Requirements: multi piece, as it lives in the trunk of my car: I am willing to try to cut a 1 piece blank into 2-3 pieces

Crisp feel, light and balanced in hand.

works well with 2 to 4 lb test, and casts 1/8 to 3/16th ounce lures well. Also can work with a small float that I often use for stream trout. I do not need it to be extra fast, I just am looking for a rod that is fun to fish with and has that special feel,

Tim O'Neill
Albany

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Better long ultralight rod ideas? case study
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2007 08:17PM

The article on Ultra-Light rods in RodMaker will help you a great deal. If you want a long UL rod, you'll do better to extend a spinning blank than to employ a fly rod. Few fly rods have a very fast action, at least compared to fast action spinning rods. With an extended spinning blank, you'll have better balance and a rod that just feels better. Small low frame guides on the upper half are recommended. Check the New Guide Concept article on the library page if you haven't already.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2007 08:43PM

2S70ULF2 - St Croix SCII, 7'0", 2-6#, 1.1 oz blank weight, 2-piece construction. Travel case is available as well ... RC45. Pair that blank with Fuji SiC guides and you will have a winner. The Fuji LSG SiC Fly guides are available down to a 3.5 ring size.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 28, 2007 10:34PM

I am in the process of building a 10' UL casting rod for my Abu Garcia Black Maxx 1600 reel from a 10' 2-piece 5/6wt fly rod blank. Casting handle, minimal eva grips with a split rear grip configuration. and Fuji green shock ring guides. The running guides will be sz 6 and will be heavy for the blank but they are what I have available right now. The only reason I am proceeding with the build is that I taped up the rod fully before committing to the build and it will give me the result I am looking for. In my particular case....fishing for saltwater perch in Bays and local beaches....A softer action to help prevent pulled hooks from soft mouths is not such a bad thing, especially when using braid.

Tom is dead on with his recommendation of extending a spinning blanks though. It is the way to go for most applications.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.jolietcity.org)
Date: October 29, 2007 12:52PM

I use the 2S70LF for my bluegill rod. 7' is about as long as I can see going to L or UL use

Posted by: Paul_Schendel (---.kochind.com)
Date: October 29, 2007 04:20PM

Rainshadow SP781-2 extended to 7', or you could leave it at 6'-6". Batson match "M" guides. Loads of UL fun!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 29, 2007 08:13PM

Rogue, Loomis, CTS and others make blanks that easily throw your weights. You find them in the kokanee rod/blank section in some catalogs/sites. Rogues are 7 ft 6 in. Others are usually in the 7 ft range. A lot more options in a 1 piece. My favorites are some old Talons, but I don't know if they are still available.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 29, 2007 09:04PM

I like the Batson IP 840. I'm getting ready to build one on the SC 3S70ULF.for a direct comparison. I know Steve Kartalia has built an IP 840 and a SC 3S70ULF-2 for comparison. (Used a Tennessee Grip-no extension) Tim your email address is hidden. I would provide you with the imput he gave me.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Timothy M ONeill (---.ad.ctmale.com)
Date: October 30, 2007 12:29PM

my email is twmoneill@hotmail.com,

Thank you,

Tim

Posted by: Timothy M ONeill (---.albyny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 08:38AM

Well here is the result, I broke down and bought two batson travel blanks. They are outstanding. I may move some guides around, but the sb720-4 is a great blank for small fish, it is not super ultralight, but for stream trout and small bass is fun. The other blank, that I am even more impressed with, is the batson 781-3 from the same series. I built it gripless, and tested it out in a catch and release trout tailwater river last weekend, swinging spoons and spinners of about a quarter ounce, it has a good balance of power and lightness. The strikes were fairly soft and at a good distance and it was very easy to tell the difference between rocks on the bottom and fish mouthing my lure. I actually plan on trying for steelhead with it this spring on some small great lakes tribs.

Tim O'Neill

Albany

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster