I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jigging rods??
Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: October 13, 2007 08:23PM

A friend of mine and I are looking at a recent edition of Sportfishing Magazine, and they are talking about heavy jigging rods. These are set up with the Shimano Stella spinning Reels that provide up to 65lbs of drag. Wondering what type of blank would make one of these? The price of the rods are $950.00? They are using 100-130 lb braided line. The size of these blanks look very small (not a pool cue), can anyone make a recommendation or provide any insight??? Calstar? Seeker? Super Seeker?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jigging rods??
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2007 09:03PM

MOst of those are JApanese blanks. Smith, Zenaq, Carpenter, JiggingMaster, TunaMax. RAndy at Angler's Pro Shop in Brooklyn, NY stocks most of these Factory rods, but I'm not even sure they have blanks available. i do know the TnaMax & JiggingMAster blanks ARE avialble as blanks from Randy, as well as Paul REyburn who often posts here on .org. As far as I know, these are the SOLE sources for these blanks in teh USA, and Randy is the lone shop stocking these factory rods. I may be wrong though.

Posted by: Simon Oakley (210.1.222.---)
Date: October 13, 2007 09:27PM

Hi John
After speaking with a charter operator in Fremantle Western Australia about what jigging rod would be the best for an up coming Samson fish trip a few years ago. I built a jigging rod on a Calstar Graphiter GF760L cut down from the butt 5'8". On the 2 trips I went on in Western Australia just about everyone who was a regular jig fisherman was using one as a jig rod or had one as a back up to there $1000 japanese jobs. I run about 15kg to 20kg of drag on mine and they can take a lot more (If you can hang on). To date I have never heard of one breaking nether has anyone else I have spoken with. Over the last couple of years I have collected about a half a dozen heavy jigging rods and it is still my favorite go to rod for chasing the big stuff in deep water with heavy jigs at home. Perfect for 80lb+ braid and 300 to 600gram (10 to 22oz) jigs. I hope this helps regards
Simon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 09:30PM by Simon Oakley.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 14, 2007 01:32AM

I have used the GF760L as deep ocean jiggers but used them mostly for multipliers on a simple spiral basis. Even when I cropped 6" from the butt, the blank is still fast and IMHO it's more suitable for overheads than spinning. Most of the heavy spin jiggers here are built on either Jigging Master or Matagi Fixer blanks.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Anthony Lee

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 09:19AM

the jigging master are great blanks. i have been working on the 760L.still not sure if i like it. (anthony i have sent you a few e-mails) ,,Billy, from a few posts i have seen, randy is not selling blanks..he was looking for someone to wrap them for him..i offered..LOL.. but i guess being 100 miles away, was to far he was looking local...i have to see if i can find that issue of SFM to see the 950$ rod.. even a custom JM dont sell for that much..

NERBS

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 14, 2007 10:43AM

Do you have a month to read? Check out ONE of many posts on vertical jigging.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Whiteside (64.25.150.---)
Date: October 14, 2007 02:01PM

The SFM, article was about an Australian mother ship with two sportfishers and a couple of center consoles that go out by day. I mislead you a little, the rods were not in the SFM article, but actually on the website for the mother ship that was featured in the article.

I hope I am not viotating rules by posting the info for others to look at the rod info. I do not know this company or endorse them in any way. I went to the main page and then went to the tackle store and looked at the rods. www.nomadsportfishing.com/au

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 14, 2007 11:16PM

Paul,

I could have deleted your emails as I get many unwanted mails everyday. Appreciate if you could title your emails with a familiar subject like "Rod Blanks" etc., and I will surely read those.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster