I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ThreadMaster Lite Praise
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 08:26PM

I used TM Lite the for the first time yesterday on a fly rod and found it FANTASTIC! It's super clear, bubble free, painless to apply and has substantial working time. The finish was absolutely level. It does take longer to cure up hard, but the advantages far out weigh that factor. Needless to say, I was very impressed, but I'm also impressed with TM Hi-Build as well. Looking forward to Andy's CP.

If anyone hasn't tried it yet, they should. I got it from FishStix4U - Robert and cohorts have wonderful customer service and are to be highly recommended.

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ThreadMaster Lite Praise
Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 10, 2007 10:22PM

How many coats did you have to use? Did it level better than the high build? Did you apply it over any decals or peel 'n" sticks?

I am very interested to know the answers as I am considering trying it for some light spin sticks.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2007 11:16PM

I have used both high build and lite. I used lite on a fly rod and used only 1 coat. I do apply it over decals, but I have only applied it over water slide ones, I only use Micro sol and Micro set and nothing else over the decal before the finish and have had no problems. I love the stuff. Scott

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 08:44AM

Chris I have been using tm for a year and a half now. I started using the lite about two months ago and love it. It is clear as water and just as smooth. It is really a joy to work with. They both are since i started using tm all my finish problems are in the past. I can't sing enogh praises for it. As far as over decals the tm is great as its so clear and spreads out so even that its like its not there. It truly does give a professional finish. I too can't wait for the cp as that will be the final nail in the coffin on the 811 new formula problems I hope.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.tacom.army.mil)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:08AM

i just made the switch to tm when i finally used up my stores of other finish.... wow, this stuff is great. I had some issues with the first rod i made with it, but have determined that some dust flying from another at home project was the cause (blank sat wrapped for a long time on the bench prior to finishing). ever since then i have not had one single issue and it has leveled very well, even on longer decals/wraps. crystal clear. I am looking forward to trying the lite, as I have some ice rods to make up and they just look unsightly if you get a thicker finish on em.

Posted by: Thomas Greising (136.8.152.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:24AM

How ist the TM lite to use with spatulas???

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:37AM

Chris, I used two coats on the butt wrap. A waterslide decal was applied after the first coat, then another coat to cover the decal. TM Lite leveled beautifully.

Thomas, Lite is a breeze with spatulas. Spatula is what I used.

Posted by: Thomas Greising (136.8.150.---)
Date: October 11, 2007 10:01AM

Stan Gregory Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris, I used two coats on the butt wrap. A
> waterslide decal was applied after the first coat,
> then another coat to cover the decal. TM Lite
> leveled beautifully.
>
> Thomas, Lite is a breeze with spatulas. Spatula is
> what I used.

Ok, tanks..! :-)

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 08:57PM

i also love TM lite! ive used flexcoat lite and high build, ls supreme and now TM lite...since i started using tm lite i gave away all the other finishes i had and i now use tm lite on everything from the smallest rods to the heaviest offshore rods

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 09:35PM

I too love it..but would like faster curing time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster