I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod guide set up
Posted by: Larry Salter (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 06:44PM

I need to know to size guides you would put on a 9' 8WT redfish rod. I would like to use all ceramic guides. I have looked at useing CNSG20 or 16 as the 1st stripper and then 12&10. After that LCFSG8's

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod guide set up
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 07:18PM

Larry,
My opinion: 16, 12 tamer, 12, 10, 7 running, 7 tip top.
Herb

Date: October 04, 2007 07:24PM

Larry,
My opinion: 16, 12 tamer, 12, 10, 7 running, 7 tip top.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 07:25PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 07:31PM

I wouldn't use anything other than Fuji SiC Titanium for the stripper, tamer and top... slicker than snot, light and corrosion proof.

TSVSG16 stripper, TSVSG12 tamer, TFST7(X.X) top

Running guides ... I would look at RECoil snake guides to keep the weight down, but Fuji SiC Titaniums would work well too - you need to tape both up and decide for yourself, IMO. RECoil running, one 6 and seven 5's. Fuji running guides, seven 7's.

Have fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 07:32PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2007 09:56PM

The heavier rods, used with slightly stiffer lines, don't seem to benefit much from a line tamer guide. But since that one is added in addition, rather than as part of your regular guide set up, it won't hurt to try it. If you like it, leave it. If not, take it out.

So, I'd do something along the lines of what Jim suggested - 16 (high frame), 12 (high frame) and then 8's or 7's in low frame style the rest of the way out. If you wanted to try a line tamer, install another 12 about 4 inches past the stripper guide.

Date: October 05, 2007 08:00AM

Tom,
Re tamers - I guess that is why I don't see much difference with my earlier rods without tamers and the new with tamers. I use mostly heavier wt lines - 8-10 - and 99% of the time I am using stiff intermediates vs the limper floaters.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster