I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polycrylic for thread coating
Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2007 09:15PM

Gentlemen,

Please provide your opinions on the pro's and con's in addition to the "numerous coatings" needed for the following product.

Minwax: water -based Polycrylic protective finish clear gloss.

Thank you for your time,
~Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polycrylic for thread coating
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 09:55PM

I'm not familiar with that product. However, with such excellent products
available that have been designed specificly for use a thread finish for
rods, the only reason I can think of to use something else would be if
one just could not aquire correct product. Even then, I would test for good
results before using on a build.

Just my 2 cents

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2007 09:58PM

I've seen such products used for guide wrap coatings and in many cases they end up looking pretty good, although you'll need quite a few coats to build any depth.

At one time, the water based products didn't offer the protection and long term durability that the oil based versions did, but I think that situation is changing as the water based formulations continue to improve.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:49PM

Mark,,,,,What do you mean by 'thread coating' exactly.?
Polycrylic certainly works as a CP. So does Diamond Varathane. Asking how well could cause a flurry of confusion tho, since no one is very thrilled with any CP choice it seems
As a top finish though, note that Polycrylic is not rated for outdoor usage. If you want to go that direction, within the MinWax line, Clearshield looks like the pick, but it is not available in gloss nor waterbase(if you care). In the Varathane lineup, they have a diamond spar waterbase that looks interesting.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:54PM

I am experimenting with it and so far it works fine for darker threads but in my opinion it is not so hot with the lighter colors. As Tom said....It takes quite a few coats and I don't see myself continuing its use once I run out because the products that are designed for rodbuilding just make more sence even if they are a little less convenient to get your hands on.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2007 04:48AM

A friend of mine is using it to cover his guide threads instead of epoxy and has used it for some time with success.

Currently I am using TM and I'm OK with that product, but I'm not that "sold" on the high build and other hassles. Per Tom and other previous suggestions on other threads, I have applied thinner coats to my preference. I'm wondering if there is a alternative that is just as durable and clear as TM without the hassles of pot life, bubbles, and just plain at a "commodity" price. I don't mind numerous coatings as this is a serious hobby not a business. If it were a business and rods needed to move out the door I can clearly see the benefit of high build epoxy.

I hope this adds clarification, thank you all for your time.

~Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2007 06:36AM

Gudebrod once made a single part product for coating guide wraps. Speed Coat was the name, I believe. It worked quite well and might be exactly what you're after.

Lately they have been cutting back on their product line somewhat and this may no longer be available. Check with your dealer.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 03:48PM

Mark J. Mire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > A friend of mine is using it to cover his guide
> threads instead of epoxy and has used it for some
> time with success.
>
> Currently I am using TM and I'm OK with that
> product, but I'm not that "sold" on the high build
> and other hassles. Per Tom and other previous
> suggestions on other threads, I have applied
> thinner coats to my preference. I'm wondering if
> there is a alternative that is just as durable
> and clear as TM without the hassles of pot life,
> bubbles, and just plain at a "commodity" price. I
> don't mind numerous coatings as this is a serious
> hobby not a business. If it were a business and
> rods needed to move out the door I can clearly see
> the benefit of high build epoxy.
>
> I hope this adds clarification, thank you all for
> your time.
>
> ~Mark
>
>
>

Mark
Try some TM Lite it will be just the ticket for your wants.
Low Build, Long Pot Life & Zero Bubbles.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 05, 2007 08:33PM

I've used the water based Urethanes from Valspar before with good results. It does take several coats...but it also dries pretty quickly and allows recoating sooner. I typically use High Build epoxies, but the other stuff does work. As mentioned above, it is a pretty good CP agent and can be used to inlay feathers as well.

Joe Douglas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster