I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Same line/lure rating but 22" shorter blank.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 05:08PM

GLoomis doesn't make the GL3 ST1363 blank anymore and I don't want to attempt to repair the broken rod tip I that I recently stepped on. They have an Xpeditor service that for $50, they'll send me the closest replacement blank and I can strip the guides off my broken blank and mail it back to them.

My ST1363 was an 11'4" 6-12 line, 3/8 - 3/4 oz blank. A suitable GL3 replacement with the same line and lure rating is their ST1143 but it is only 9'6" long. This blank is designated for a casting rod but as Tom has pointed out in the past, the blank won't know the difference.

I intend to build it as a spinning rod for Salmon and if the lure ratings for each blank are correct, I assume it should handle and feel the same way as my broken rod but just 22" shorter. I believe it would be "easier" to fight Salmon since it is a shorter rod anyway, just won't be able to cast as far. Any comments would be appreciated about this blank. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Same line/lure rating but 22" shorter blank.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2007 06:35PM

It will handle the same lures and have about the same power, but it won't handle or feel anything like what you have now. The shorter rod will almost certainly balance differently and it will be a little less sensitive (longer rods are by default more sensitive because you've given the fish a longer lever to use against you - the fish will move further and faster simply because he can. And... you have to apply more effort in order to arrest his movements because you're on the "short end of the stick" so to speak.) But I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2007 10:05PM

Well, it will be 22 fewer inches for you to step on :-)

Frankly, why not something more durable. Loomis has a name, but for a lot of folks that name equals 'fragile'. To each their own I guess. Certainly one guy building rods local to me has cutomers who love Loomis rods,,, and so does he,,, as he is always having to build new ones for them that break.

Date: October 03, 2007 09:16AM

Dave - if I could get a Rainshadow through the GLoomis Xpeditor exchange program I would - they certainly more to offer in their Salmon/Steelhead series.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 01:35PM

Why not just extend the butt end ? With that long of a blank I don't think it would effect the action that much. Jesse

Date: October 03, 2007 01:43PM

Thanks Jesse, I was thinking I could cut off the handle section before I returned the rest of the blank pieces and use that to extend the 9'6" GL3 blank. I don't think they would mind.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2007 02:24PM

The action would become faster if you extend the rod. That could be a plus or a minus depending on what you're after.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2007 02:56PM

Sure looks like it seeing the blanks online. Lami has some too I think.
It you thought a little shorter and higher in the line ratings, I'd be all over Seekers. Picked up some S-glass tip, graph bottom, Seeker 2 pieces when in SoCal last month for mooching rod fodder. At a tad under 9' and est. 15-30# test, they are not quite what you are aiming at tho.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster