I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Rod vs. Fly Rod
Posted by: Harold Blair (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 05:50PM

Hi all: My wife and I are mostly flyfishers but occasionally fish for redfish and salmon. I am currently making a Dan Craft FT908-4 9 foot, 8 weight rod for flyfishing for redfish and salmon. On prior fishing expeditions to the Gulf for redfish, we have fished with Walmart (ugh!!) casting rods. Our only prior experience with salmon fishing was in Newfoundland using a fly rod. I gather some of you use casting rods for salmon fishing. So, I am thinking about making another rod for casting for both salmon and redfish. Any suggestions for a casting blank? What would you all recommend? Thanks, Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Rod vs. Fly Rod
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 06:56PM

Harold,
We may need a little more information, mainly the type of Salmon and where you are fishing for them. As you probably know there are quite a few species of Salmon. The Atlantic Salmon that you fished for are about the size as Silver Salmon on the West Coast and will require similar equipment. They are a little smaller than the Spring Salmon but the Fall Chinook on much of the West Coast will run 20 to 50 pounds or even bigger and required much different tackle. Also they are found in everything from very small rivers to the mighty Columbia river which will also have a significant affect on the equipment that is used.
I do not want to make this too complicated but how you plan to fish for the particular Salmon species will also make a difference in the equipment. For example, If you will be casting for them you will want a different rod than if you are trolling for them from a boat.
There are lots of good blanks available but I think we need a little more information about your plan of attack.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 07:45PM

Agreed E: You match him up with the sammon and I will do the same with "Rat Reds" and "Jetty Bulls". They range from 4 # to 65#. No sense taking a switch to War with a Gladiator!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2007 11:37PM

Harold,
Better bring some 9 or 10wt lines to load that DC FT908.
Herb

Date: September 30, 2007 06:26AM

Thanks for the response. The reds we fish for are usually in the 5-10 lb range and we will probably be fishing in the spring for salmon so they too will probably be smaller (>20-30 lbs?). While we will fish some salmon, we will use the rods mostly for reds. We will definitely be casting for them. Another point of clarification: I am trying to distinguish between fly rod blanks and blanks used with casting reels. I think I have the fly rod blanks covered with the FT908s I am making. However, I have never made a rod for a casting reel so am looking for information on casting reel blanks. Thanks again for the response.

Date: September 30, 2007 07:46AM

Casting rod for the "small marsh reds" you describe. Try any of the rod blanks noted at 844 and you will be fine. Seven foot med/hvy with moderate action. On the guides use Batson polished 316, Fuji titanium or Black Alconite frames. So a spiral wrap and you can also chase larger reds without fear of blank damage. Match up with a Shimano Curado baitcasting reel and leave them "sammons" up in the cold country!

Date: September 30, 2007 08:57AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try any of the rod blanks noted at 844
> and you will be fine. Seven foot med/hvy with
> moderate action.

Bill, thanks for the prompt response. I searched the Rainshadow/Forecast site and only found 1 piece 844s. Since we will be traveling with these rods, are there any 2 piece blanks that will fit the ticket? Sorry about so many elementary questions, but as I mentioned, we use fly rods almost exclusively.

Harold

Date: September 30, 2007 09:22AM

Listed in the bass section of catalog:

SB843-3 Clear Gloss 7'0" 3 10-17lb. 5/16 - 3/4oz. 0.635 6.0 Fast Medium-Heavy 2.33 oz.

SB845-3 Clear Gloss 7'0" 3 12-25lb. 3/8 - 1 1/4oz. 0.600 7.0 Fast Extra-Heavy 3.04 oz.

These from the Batson Catalog will do nicely - take your pick!

The only way I ever see a three piece rod is after a "bull red" decided to break the b(l)ank!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 11:08AM

Harold,
I would look first at the Rainshadow IST1085 or 1086. They are 2 piece, 9' and designed for just what you want to do.

Date: September 30, 2007 12:15PM

Emory maybe he needs two rods - if he charters a bay boat down here for reds the capt will spit tobacco juice all over a nine foot rod laying in his boat.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2007 12:36PM

Bill,
Real fishermen do not hire guides or go on charter boats.

Date: September 30, 2007 12:59PM

Now you have done it! Come on down and I will haul you for free! It does not matter what kind of fisherman you are - Three minutes from the landing and you will be lost to never return - even with a GPS! Take a look at why good fishermen sometimes need a guide when in strange places.

[www.mapquest.com]

Date: September 30, 2007 02:23PM

Sounds like the making of a hornet's nest :-) Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law who has his own boat, knows the inter-coastal and is an excellent fisherman. We often wade since the water we fish in is usually no more than 1-2 feet deep!
Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster