I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

< EVA Question>
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.202.111.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 04:58PM

Had done a cork grip with checkerd inlays for a co- worker. He was showing it off to another co-worker and was impressed. Now this co-worker came to me and wants me to build him a rod for his wife,but only he wants the grip done in EVA and with the checkerd inlay.
I have made EVA grips with EVA trim rings but never the checkerd?
Question being has any of you done any EVA checkerd inlays ? If so how well did they hold up and what did you use for glue up. Have used contact cement for the rings,but thinking it would be kinda tricky with the checkerd.
Any and all information well appreciated in advance.Have not committed myself to this one yet.

Thanks <<< DON >>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 05:00PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: < EVA Question>
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2007 05:04PM

It will work fine. You'll still use contact cement, but will be a bit careful as it can get a bit tricky with all those small pieces. Make up a board or some arrangement where you can stick each piece on a straight pin or something to keep them arranged and apart. Make sure your contact cement is fresh and very liquid. Don't bother with the terrible brush that comes in the cap - get some of the small, round brushes such as those that Flex Coat sells and use those to apply the cement on the small pieces. You don't have to rush - the contact cement needs to dry anyway so just take your time and be patient.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:04PM

Donald; I just finished making the grips for another purple rod today. I used 1/4 " thick foam from Wal Mart craft dept to make the checker board pattern. The bigger they are in diameter the easier they are to work with and handle. The disks are 1 1/2 " in dia. I made a little cutter to cut the disks and then made a checker board cutting jig. I used a closet rod bracket to cut out the disc's then used another one and cut slots in it for the checker board pattern. Today I made some checker boards out of 1/16 " thick foam and they look good. So this 1 1/2 " diameter really helps in the cutting out and glue up. Then you work them down on the lathe. Also I cut the center hole with a single hole paper puncher also from Walmart.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Didn't make a photo of the checker board jig yet.
Do exactly as Tom said and you will not have any problems
Just remember,, when you touch them together,,they are stuck !

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.202.206.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 25, 2007 09:09PM

Ok ! Thanks Tom. Have the brushes from Flex Coat. Will pick up a new bottle of contact cement.
Had told my co-worker if I committed myself to making a EVA checkerd grip that there would be no set time, that vit was alittle tricky and do not want to be rushed. He agreed,since his wifes Birthday is a month off.Thanks again.

< DON >

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2007 01:57PM

I would suggest that you assemble the grip on the rod by putting the rear piece on the blank and then cut the center out of the checker board pieces to the size of the blank so you are not trying to stretch them as you are the EVA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster