I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Freshwater deep-jigging blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2007 04:53PM

I've been using Avid (70MF or 70MHF) casting and spinning blanks for jigging the past couple of years, and just wondered if anyone could recommend a better, or comparable (and sensitive) blank for this use. (Really no problem with the Avids, I just haven't been exposed to other brands.) Leaning toward the "Mag-bass" designations, but not sure. (Hoping to get to High Point next year to wiggle a few!) Looking for a 7' blank for 3/4 to 1oz jigs, 8 - 12# test line. Target species are lake trout, 5 - 12# avg., jigging in 75 - 100fow. Many thanks for any suggestions, I really appreciate the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freshwater deep-jigging blank recommendation
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 05:21PM

This is our top of the line set up. The IMB843 would work well also...
Description:
Rod Blank Model # RX8+ C843
Butt cap: evabc20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: rg10a-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBtg16C-13.0-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: FG35A-250
Winding Check:
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R06.0
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
7th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG08
8th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XTCLXNZG12
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3-6.5-10.5-15-20-26-33-41-51

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2007 06:13PM

So far my experience of the RX8+ blanks. you can't go wrong gest my recomendation to

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2007 06:49PM

GUSA 703DHX, or GUSA Advantage 7MH.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: September 10, 2007 06:54PM

MIKE YOU COULD ALSO CHECK OUT THE BATSON RX7 LINE OF BLANKS...IMB843 IN THE RX7 WOULD WORK VERY WELL FOR THE JOB AT A GREAT PRICE POINT ALSO...MIDWEST ROD AND REEL HAS THEM IN STOCK

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: mark crouse (66.118.91.---)
Date: September 10, 2007 08:07PM

Hi Mike
Check the MSC blanks , Tusk 7 ft. 2 PC
Best Regards Mark Crouse
www.munichrodmansrodshop.com or on the left "The Rod shop"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2007 03:23AM

I wonder if you should rethink your blank just a bit.
If you are jigging in this deep water, with this heavy jig, I suspect that you would really enjoy it more if you went to a shorter rod, like a 6 1/2 or even 6 foot.
It is remarkable how much more feel you seem to have with a bit shorter rod, and also how much less tiring it is after a long day of fishing with heavier jigs.

I know that when I am river fishing in 50-80 feet of water, in fast current, using 1 oz jigs - I always put the 7 foot rod in the rod rack, and pick up my 6 foot or 5'9" rod.

Using no stretch line, Iike I am sure that you are using, there is no issue on hook set with a shorter rod.

If you haven't already checked out other brands,
Take a look at Lamiglas, Rogue, Baston, and American Composites. All make blanks that would work very well for this application.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:09AM

I agree with Roger. If I was in your shoes I would look at cutting an SJ 3 power down to somewhere between 5' 9" and 6' 3". I spent a week on Lake of the Woods this summer and ended up using my 5' 9" ML SCIII over my 6' 3" SCIV just because it was shorter and easier to hang on to for hours on end. I had some tennis elbow pain going on so maybe that was a factor. We were fishing up to 1/2 oz in 30'.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2007 09:14AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:41AM

I wonder how much of the discomfort you guys feel is from how you hold your rods while fishing. I jig in SW with 1-2oz with a 7' rod in water 15-60 feet deep. The ONLY time I am uncomfy fishing with a 7' rod is when the rod is unbalanced with too short a butt section, or the rod has no foregrip - both features on most Factory FW rods, as well as what seems to be a lot of custom FW rods. While so many people here rave about the use of no foregrip for their FW rods, it severely limits switching up how you hold the rod for this type of fishing. It's nice to not HAVE TO palm the reel all day bouncing jigs, being able to grab the foregrip, and often letting the reel hang face down towards the water surface usually allows you to bounce the jig all day with minimal effort, since the rod will be butt heavy & will naturally sit with the tip "up".

I'mnot discounting the shorter rod beign a better choice for this type of fishing sinc eI've never done it, but I do know the shorter rod on SW boats with 200HP outboards can be a pain if the fish decides to run under the boat at teh last second. I also know the short rod forces you to move more of the rod to get the jig to hop, with a longer rod you don't have to move it as much to get teh same amount of movement on the jig.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 09:53AM

FWIW - I'm talking spinning rods and I sometimes hold it "pencil grip' style. You see that a lot up here, especially through the ice. Not the best for a good hookset unless you're wide awake.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: September 11, 2007 10:32AM

Chuck - As I said, I don't do that type of fishing - my entire post was referring to casting/conventional rods. Sorry about that

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2007 01:31PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the help! The reason I lean toward a 7' rod is d/t the placement of the reel seat - it usually falls (based on the elbow of the jigger) anywhere from 10 to 12 inches from the butt for comfort. That doesn't leave a lot of rod left over. I also like the leverage of this length for quick hooksets, although I realize there isn't a whole lot of difference compared to a foot or so shorter model. Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help and I'll research the suggestions!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster