I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle cork bore way oversize
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 10:43AM

I have several cork rings where the center bore is way too big - about 1/4-3/8" larger than the butt of the blank and I was wondering if it would be okay to use foam arbors to take up the difference. These rings will make up the handle and all the posts talk about small differences and using thread, twine or dry wall tape to take up the differences (small) in handles and arbors used for reel seats. With the large difference between the bore and the blank if I use tape/epoxy the weight of the epoxy becomes a concern. Additionaly I will need at least 10" of arbors for the handle and haven't found any listed that are that long.

Any suggestions on this one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle cork bore way oversize
Posted by: John Sams (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 10:47AM

Use larger cord wound around the blank to take up the space? Get rings with smaller bore? Foam arbors don't weigh much so I don't think you would increase the weight much if you went that way?

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:13AM

First off why not sdave those rings for a better use Im sure there will be a build in the future darby where you can use them. Now that said if you have to use them tape or twine or thread is really for a SLIGHT difference not for big spaces. I guess you could use the foam arbor but that could get expensive. Really the only weight factor you are looking at there is the epoxy for the glue up that will soak into it and that has to be minumal. Keep in mind Darby what ever you use you will be giving up sensativity which is my mane concern in my rods whenever you put anything between your fingers and the blank never mind two things!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:24AM

I have taken Flex Coat arbors and fitted them to the inside of the cork rings ( either open up the cork ring or turn down the arbor). Glue them up in sections until I get the total length I want then glue them all together. You can open up the bore of the arbors in sections or all at once to fit the blank. The arbors are probably lighter then an equal length of cork rings. I think this is one good way to do it.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 06:32PM

I will go along with Jay on this one.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.84.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 08, 2007 12:49AM

Depending on weight concerns and the size of the rod, I would either use FC arbors along the length of the grip, or build the handle on a piece of larger scrap blank that fits the cork, then use a couple of small arbors to mate that blank piece to the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster