I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making Permagloss opaque
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:21PM

I've spent hours on this form reading about tinting permagloss trying to find the answer to this question with no luck (My search's were probably wrong).

How much is too much tint for the permagloss to carry?

I'm building a rod for my wife who "just would love" a purple rod. She has pick out a color chip that is the color she wants and I have the information on the tints used to make that color - using a "deep tint base" paint with the smallest size being a quart.

Here's my delema: I can mix the tints to get the color but how much of the tint can I use for it to be both opaque and not overload the 1oz, permagloss to where there is too much tint for it to desolve.

Is this something I need to worry about. I'm going to be using a black blank to turn pruple - dark purple not lavender.

Any one know the maximum amout of tint for a 1 ounce jar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Permagloss opaque
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:33PM

Won't happen with Perma Gloss - blank will require proper prep and painting -

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:42PM

Once painted what protects the paint from comming off through use?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2007 01:45PM

The more tint or pigment you apply, the more you may change the properties of the PermaGloss product. I can't give you an exact figure here - you'd just have to add enough to get the job done and then test it on a scrap piece and see how it sets up and dries. It does tend to take a good deal to make it truly opaque.

PermaGloss is terribly hard - you aren't likely to wear it off through normal wear and tear. Heck you can't hardly sand it off.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:13PM

I refinished a carbon fiber pushpole with PermaGloss. I put enough pigment in to turn a light gray pole into midnight black with just two coats. I can't tell you scientifically how much tint I added, but it was plenty - and the PG still did the job A+. Hard as concrete and black as night with ONE 4oz bottle of PermaGloss and a generous helping of black tint from Lowe's. The pole was a 20' one at that!

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:19PM

Sounds like you are trying to paint and finish with Permagloss. I found the TAP plastic pigments to be quite powerful in making Permaglass opaque. They are made for coloring epoxy and casting resin. Sounds like you are using paint pigments tho, and if you have had to ask how much is too much, then a significant amount at that. I'd be wary that you are degrading the Permagloss quickly when using pigments not designed to color such things.
TAP plastics says to use 6-8% of their pigment, which is designed to color plastics. [www.tapplastics.com]; . If using anything not designed for the task, you'd certainly think less %.
I've had good luck in tinting Permagloss to make it opaque and refinish a scuffed up rod, using the TAP pigments. I woulodn't go that path for changing the color of a rod tho. Tinting is on thing, painting another.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:19PM

Darby,

Try this on a scrap piece of black blank. Prep the scrap for painting, by using a scotchbrite pad. Paint with the color you want. Then spray with Krylon fixatiff or crystal clear. Then try to coat with permagloss. If the permagloss doesn't eat the paint off, then you are set. OR tint the permagloss and see how it does just by prepping the scrap then using the Krylon without painting then try the permagloss. This should get you the answer to your dilemma.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2007 02:26PM

Darby -

Just so you know ... Lamiglas does offer colored blanks. I believe the charge is $10 extra and you have to wait until they run that color. Also, GUSA offers custom colors, there is a $15 surcharge and purple IS one of the available colors - I just checked the MudHole site. I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the alternatives. I made my wife happy with a "purple rod" via a white blank and purple wraps/crosswraps - another possible angle of attack.

Jim -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 02:34PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.cpm.net)
Date: September 05, 2007 10:16AM

Darby - JP Timberlake is supposed to give a seminar on how to change the color of blank at the show in February. That is if I remember correctly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster