I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Drilling
Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: September 02, 2007 09:07PM

Gidday Lads,

I anm having great difficulty boring cork.

I need to drill some straight cork grips out to a 20mm (0.78') ID. I can't seem to find them to purchase "off the shelf".

Any tips on drillign them out or, does anyone know of one of the site sponsors who will be able to supply them to me?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Drilling
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 09:17PM

Flex-Coat bits.

The "Rod Works" is on your side of the world but
if they don't have them in stock try @#$%&.

If you have a scrap piece of blank about the same size as the
rod your building you can also make a reamer.

Back issues of RMM go into detail to making reamers, reverce
drill bits, & other ways to get you there.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 09:19PM

Chris, are you glueing cork rings together and turning the handle yourself, or are you buying preformed cork grips? I use one of two tools for the rings, before I glue them. I either drill them out with a forstner bit, which does a good job of staying true to size, or I use one of the reamers available from a lot of the sponsors of this site. If I have a lot of material to remove, I use the bit to get most of it, and then ream the rings to fit on the mandrel I use for turning. I got my reamers from Mudhole. If you are trying to resize a preformed grip, the reamers are the best way to accomplish that. in my opinion. The coarse grit reamers are very agressive, so be careful. It won't hurt to have a fine and coarse reamer, available in several diameters.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 10:53PM

Like Raymond suggested, the Flex Coat bits are great for this.

DR

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: September 02, 2007 10:58PM

Do you run the drill at high speed? Probably a stupid question...

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 11:27PM

I usually dont Chris, I just run it slowly and work my way throught straight and easy, backing out occasionally to get rid of the already cut excess that builds up pretty fast.

NOT asking a question is stupid. Asking one is smart, many here are willing to help.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 11:30PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster