I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Heavy Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 05:22AM

I'm building a 10' 6" surf spinning rod and when I put the handle where I like it the rod is tip heavy, not drop to the ground heavy but it goes tip heavy slowly. If I move the handle and reel up a little, about 3" it is ok, going to be a personal toy, could I add some weight to the butt to keep the handle and reel where I want it or should I move the handle and reel forward?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Heavy Rod
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2007 06:41AM

As long as it’s a personal toy I would try it both ways tape the guides on temporally attach the reel.
Cast it a few time each way to see how it affects casting and performance then make your design

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2007 08:04AM

Are you using a plate seat & cork tape? You could just move the seat to adjust the balance point until you figure out the best method for you, after fishing the rod a few times. Keep in mind when you add 300 feet of line and a 2oz plug laying on teh waters surface after a cast, most surf rods tend to be tip heavy regardless.

FOr me I prefer to move the reel seat up and deal with teh extra length than to add weight.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: September 01, 2007 11:52PM

Another solution to consider..........sometimes I put what is called "pencil lead" inside
the blank right at the butt. Because it is in the rear a little bit goes a long way. I made up
a tool to balance the finished rod (I like it just a tad in front of the reel). Then epoxy
the lead in the blank, put on the butt cap and woila' a perfectly balanced rod to fish
all day with and not get out the Ben Gay when you get home!!

Try it......you'll like it.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2007 10:23AM

Bigfish,
Use the method that best fits your need.
I personally like a handle of a specific length. i.e., I don't like one too short, nor one too long.
If it is too short, it doesn't handle and cast well.
If it is too long, the butt of the rod is always hitting my body when I cast.

The other thing about moving a reel forward on a rod to balance it - is that you are giving up fishing rod length.
i.e. what is the point of having a 10 foot rod, if you move the hanle up three feet to balance the rod. You are really only fishing with a 7 foot rod. i.e. the length from the reel to the tip of the rod.
Rather, I like to place the reel at the optium placement for my casting needs.
Then, I simply add butt weight to balance the rod.
I add butt weight by adding lead tape - on the OUTSIDE - of the blank, before adding the handle material.
I typically turn my handles on the blank, so I simply ream the first couple of pieces of cork that surround the lead balancing tape, and then glue up the cork as needed. When the handle is turned down, and the butt cap added, there is no sign of weight added to the rod.
Since all of the weight is concentrated in the last inch of the rod, the maximum blanace is achieved by adding the minimum amount of weight.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster