I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seats
Posted by: jim elder (12.189.32.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 11:19AM

i am considering building my own seats using acrylics and wood and have a question. when drilling out the seat, should the ID of the seat be just a tad larger than the OD of the blank, for strength, or be way over size and utilize an insert as when using a commercial seat. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seats
Posted by: Carrington Tate (63.147.73.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 11:44AM

Jim,

I ream the reel seat to fit the blank, just like you would a cork grip. I have only done wood inserts, so i can't speak to the acrylic material.

Carrington

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 11:48AM

Jim, I usually drill the hole just undersize and then use a file to fit it to the blank. It takes a while but I think that the final result is worth it. It also takes less epoxy and I hope that will keep the reel seat from spinning on the blank down the road.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 12:02PM

Jim,

I use the acrylic all the time. I drill out the seat just undersized to the blank, then I chuck a smaller bit in the lathe head stock and "work" the extra material out of the acrylic or wood, until I get the perfect fit that I am wanting. You can let the piece turn as you apply pressure just where you want to remove the material....it's very easy to do and works like a charm......my files just collect dust!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 12:13PM

Just for fun....how heavy is Acrylic compared to arbors? WOuldn't you build a more efficient rod by reaming a majority of material out and mounting on an arbor made form a lighter material....I dunno like masking tape? lol.

Date: August 29, 2007 12:21PM

Billy,

Just for fun.....and I KNOW I'll get a "reaming" LOL for this one....but......I believe the acrylic mounted directly to the blank adds sensitivity that an arbor wont give you. There is aded weight with acrylic, but if you keep the grips down small and nice, the added weight is in the right place.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2007 12:46PM

Billy,

On rods where weight would be an issue (U/L, etc), I over drill the holes (seats/grips) and use Flexcoat arbors. Otherwise I bore just undersize and use a reamer in a variable speed drill mounted in a vise pointing straight up and slowly lower the piece down and up on the reamer. That way I get a tapered fit on grips. Acrylics ream very easy as does wood. Just go slow to avoid to much heat. The Dream Reamers from Batson are great for this.

Wouldn't touch the sensitivity issue with a ten foot pole!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 29, 2007 12:53PM

"Wouldn't touch the sensitivity issue with a ten foot pole!!!!!!!"

LMAO!!!!

DR

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 29, 2007 01:23PM

Mike - you might be able to touch the sensitivity issue with that pole, depending on the pole's mass density and the orientation of the pole to the sensitivity when you actually touch it :-)

Ok, I'll shut up now...

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 29, 2007 01:27PM

Rich,

Don't start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 29, 2007 01:34PM

LOL!!!!!!!!

DR

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 29, 2007 02:55PM

Rich is just stirring the pot!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2007 05:39PM

There is a trade off to be reckoned with either way. More weight generally means a less sensitive rod. You'd almost always come out ahead on weight by making the seat insert with a much larger bore and filling it with a very lightweight yet rigid 4lb urethane foam. Or, the standard brick arbors. But then you'd have one additional material involved which in and of itself can also reduce sensitivity.

Without any way to accurately measure any input, it's hard to say for sure which would be more sensitive, but my guess would be that the often very heavy weight of the acrylic inserts would reduce the sensitivity more than boring it out larger and filling with a lightweight yet rigid arbor.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 06:01PM

The only thing I worry about with wood, a natural material with a thin wall will tend to crack or break. The foam arbor will help stabilize the wood more so than masking tape, but for the little difference in sensitivity vs durability I wouldn't take a chance on it.

Date: August 29, 2007 07:53PM

Tom,

It also matters where that weight is located and how much of it is really there. I've built quite a few acrylic's and I'm amazed by the sensitivity of them vs cork. Same blanks, same guides. It would take a lot to convince me otherwise, my hands tell the tale on each rod in the real fishing world. Like you said, it's only a guess, but I'll take the acrylic ANY day of the week. What I wouldn't do is make a full sized, full length acrylic handle, the weight there would matter, I'm not sure if it would take away any sensitivity, but it would make for a heavier rod.

DR

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 12:30AM

Since sensitivity is my middle name, I'm going to vote for something we just did for a cusotmer:

He brought us a blank, guides, and an APLS "triangular" reel seat he bought at the Show last Feb. He asked us to build it for him. Although the reel seat was a relatively close fit, the space got a little bigger when we measured the length of the rear grip he wanted. We had a couple choices - build up several layers of tape (not a good solution - to heavy, and definitely not sensitive enough - seriously!), or fill the seat with s Flex Coat arbor and ream it out. But this was one of those times when the ID of the reel seat was "just enough" to be a problem, but not big enough to require much in the way of an arbor. So we sized-down a size 18 arbor to what I figured was about a size 14, glued it in, and s-l-o-w-l-y reamed it until it was almost paper thin, and fit perfectly to the blank.

The reason we chose this solution was that we figured the "skin" of arbor left inside would provide a better purchase for the glue, than the smooth inside of the reel seat. It adds so little weight and it's so thin that we figured it'd have little or no effect on the weight or sensitivity of this stick.

Just one idea that might help.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: August 30, 2007 11:01AM

Russ,

I've done that same thing on Bass rods. I found it easier to epoxy the arbor inside the reel seat BEFORE reaming. Then ream the arbor and epoxy on rod.

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 11:16AM

Uhm, FC has recommended you use their arbors in this manner fom Day 1. And how much can one be worried about loss of sensitivity using an Aluminum seat anyway?

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 30, 2007 01:06PM

yup - epoxy the arbor into the seat first, then ream to whatever you need it to be. I've had some get ultra thin before, it's a far better method than any alternative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster