I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Little fishing experience
Posted by: Alessandro Brunelli (---.5-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: August 27, 2007 03:03AM

Hello to all!

I am new at this forum and I would like to build myself my first rod. However, I have so far little experience in fishing in general (spinning, lake). I would like to build a fly fishing rod of good quality (e.g. Sage rods) or maybe is it better to start with a traditional reel rod for spinning?

I would also like to know if you feel one need to have a good experience of fishing before trying to build your own rod and especially one for fly fishing.

Thank you for any comment!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little fishing experience
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2007 09:06AM

Being a fisherman helps because it allows you to understand why certain rods are built certain ways.

Fly rods are no harder to build than spinning rods. Nearly all rods follow the same construction methods.

Sage rods are good quality, but so are just about all the others you'll see mentioned here. You do not have to spend a fortune to obtain a high quality rod blank.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2007 12:36PM

same thing as building a spinning or casting rod only thing is you are putting on a fly reel instead and possibly different guides...also as tom said being a fisherman helps so you know what you want in a rod and dont have to build 10 finding what action etc you like

anyway good luck! rodbuilding is worse than a crack addiction

Posted by: Alessandro Brunelli (---.5-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: August 28, 2007 03:23AM

Thank you for the help, this forum is really great!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 01:01AM

Don't be afraid to build yourself a flyrod if that's what you want. The best way to learn to build a rod is - just to build it. The best way to learn to fish is to fish. I think the most fun you can have is to fish with a rod you built yourself, and a lot of folks will say that catching a fish on a fly you tied is also one of the best things in fishing.

I agree.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster