I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sticky Ferrules
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 09:19PM

I'm having trouble getting some of my multi piece rods apart after a few hours fishing time. They're not stuck! Just sticking a little. Maybe my mits are too big or sweaty but I was thinking there might be a way to mount something on the blank that would allow the user to get a better grip on the blank sections so they can be rolled or twisted apart.

What about flocking a couple of little areas on either side of each ferrule? Or maybe gluing down some non-skid rubber around the blank on either side of the ferrule?

Sure would make things easier if there was something you could wrap or paint on the rod sections to serve as gripping points. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sticky Ferrules
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2007 09:35PM

A worthy idea but I'd be concerned about the weight that such a thing might add to the rod, particularly on light, slender rods with ferrules in the upper 1/2 such as on 3 and 4 piece models.

Grip friction is only one part of the puzzle - the small diameter you're trying to hold onto doesn't help. Did you read the article on ergonomics in the issue before last? A normal adult hand isn't going to be able to transfer a lot of rotational force to such a small diameter cylinder. So you really need to provide a more tactile surface and a larger diameter at the same time.

So why not just carry a bit of that non-skid rubber material you mention? Wind it around the rod a few times to build up the diameter a bit. That will pretty much kill two birds with one stone. You should be able to keep a couple short strips in your vest or shirt pocket.

One last thing - on hot summer days, things can expand and make that ferrule fit a bit tighter. I have a fly rod that I dearly love, but the ferrule has always seemed to stick a bit on hot days. A couple weeks back I had used it for a few hours and was having trouble getting it apart. I was just about to run up the car's AC and try to set it in front of that for a few minutes to cool it down when Sammy Mickel mentioned that he still had a bottle of ice cold water. He poured just a tad over the ferrule and it then came apart rather easily. Just one more trick to have at your disposal.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: August 26, 2007 09:43PM

Try some of this stuff.
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 10:34PM

The suggestion Dave made regarding U40's Ferrule Lube is right on the money. All my multipiece rods get a double dip.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2007 08:54AM

I don't think he's having trouble with his ferrules getting stuck - just trouble grasping them to get them apart.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 27, 2007 11:06AM

The little rubber sheets used for gripping and removing jar lids would be handy. You can get them a Wal Mart. Cut them to any size you like.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2007 07:03PM

In the early to mid seventys I had trouble with the ferrules tightening up on me in Canada on all my smaller diameter rods due to the ever changing temps...along came U40 ferrule lube and I never had that problem again...I also was a double dipper and as Jay says pack two of those rubber gripping sheets in the tackle box for your buddy's. [one for each section]

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: August 28, 2007 06:22AM

I use paraffin wax on the ferrules and it works like a charm. Bill

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 28, 2007 03:42PM

Back in the early days when rods had metal ferrules I would take a lead pencil and mark all over the male ferrule. The graphite in the pencil lead would keep them from sticking. I never tried it on a rod without metal ferrules.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster