I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carpenter's glue for cork rings
Posted by: David Luger (---.lotp.ca.cebridge.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:28PM

Is carpenter's wood glue OK for building a cork ring handle?
I just noticed Elmer's Carpenter Wood Glue has "All Purpose" and "Interior".
I was at the hardware store and saw that Titebond II was labeled "carpenter's glue"
and read here is was good to use. Is Titebond III better?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carpenter's glue for cork rings
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:33PM

I`ve been using the Titebond III with great results.Just make sure whatever glue you use is water proof.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:41PM

Titebond II & III are good for glueing rings together but not for bonding grip to blank Don't know how Emers holds up to water.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:09AM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Titebond II & III are good for glueing rings
> together but not for bonding grip to blank Don't
> know how Emers holds up to water.

Elmers brand makes a few equivalent Tite Bond type adhesives that are "waterproof" Be sure to read the labels.

Both Elmers and Tite Bond glue do not have gap filling qualities. For bonding anything that does not have a tight seam or good
surface to surface contact you will need a thixotropic adhesive like Rod Bond epoxy or you can make your own thickened epoxy glue by
mixing in wood dust, cork dust, cabosil or microfibers.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:49AM

Titebond III works fine on cork grips, but it's tough on steel mandrels. The moisture in it will rust your mandrels overnight. So remove the grip promptly and clean the mandrel thoroughly if you want to keep it in like new condition.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 11:56AM

Since cork is the bark off a tree,
it just makes sense that tight bound III would work

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 06:57PM

David, Why mess around with any type or Brand of carpenter's glue, especially when it says "Interior use", which is saying that it's not waterproof?

You are investing considerable time and money making a cork ring handle, so don't take chances - Stick with the expert's proven way to bond cork rings together :

1). Use Trondak U-40 Rod Bond

2). Use a flexible spatula and coat the surface of each mating ring with a very small amount of U-40 Rod Bond, then wipe it off, leaving just a very thin film of U-40. Then, assuming that you have a cork clamping devise, tightly clamp the bundle of rings tightly together. (be sure to wipe any U-40 from the center hole in the cork rings)

3). After clamping, a small amount of U-40 Rod Bond will be squeezed out of the cork joints, which you should wipe off, using a rag and denatured alcohol. Then wipe the entire surface of the cork again with a clean dry rag.

4). Let the U-40 cure over night, then use a Lathe (or sanding block) to machine the cork handle to make the O.D. concentric with the center bore I.D.

5). If done as described herein, it will be difficult to see the joints between the cork rings.

Have Fun!

Rena (I love cork handles, I only wish I could get "PINK" cork )

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:55PM

Lisen to Rena

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 26, 2007 02:13AM

You can also use Andy Dear's products (the epoxy glues) in either the 24-hr, 15min, or 5min compunds, as well as AmTak. It's also possible to use DevCon 24-hr or even the 5-minute two-part epoxies, but these tend to run a bit, although they saturate the cork surfaces pretty nicely.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2007 11:25AM

For cork glueing, Titebond III is the stuff. Rodbond is also good, but TBIII does just as good of a job at considerably less expense. For gapfilling structural applications, Rodbond or Andy Dear's epoxy is the stuff to use. Tom K hit it right on the head though - get that grip off the mandrel with TBIII, as it will form a surface rust. If I run into that I just chuck the bare mandrel into the lathe and polish it with a course 3M pad, it cleans it up just like new.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster