I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diamondite Probem
Posted by: Jeff Mason (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 06:30AM

Hello to you all.

Have just read all the good reports/updates on Diamondite the last couple of days,but I need some suggestions for a problem I have.

It's the first time I've used it,and was looking for something low build and easy to mix/use,with a reasonable pot life when mixed.

So.........I have built a #9 and a #10 fly rod ,mixed the Diamonite in a small measuring cup,and put the first coat on (have not used any color preserver).
This first coat set hard and shiny,the unused mix in the cup was crystal clear and rock hard.
24 hours later I then applied the second (and was hoping that it would be the final) coat.
This is where I have a problem,I must have not mixed it in the correct proportions,as the second coat would not harden fully , and the unused mix in the cup was slightly yellow and you could (and still can) press your thumbnail in there and leave a mark.
I then tried leaving the rods turning overnight under 2 lights.
No effect at all.
I then tried heating up ,very carefully,with a hot air gun.
This took the shine off the finish,but still remained slightly tacky.
I left it a further 48 hours in direct sunlight but still no change.
So,I mixed another batch (using syringes),and gave it a third coat.
The unused mix in the cup has set crystal clear and rock hard,but the coat on the whippings is still slighty tacky.
I made sure that I gave each whipping a full covering,but can't explain why it's still tacky (now 3 days later)but the unused mix is rock hard.
I cut off a 3/4" female ferrule whipping to see how easy it was to remove,but it doesn't "peel" off like epoxy and it took me nearly an hour to clean off properly......so cutting off the whippings and starting again is not an option!
Anyhow,I have now tried everything I can think of to rectify the situation,and would be interested to see if anyone out there has any other suggestions.
I would be happy if I could remove the tacky coat even if it was a matt finish.......with some sort of solvent???

Look forward to any suggestions.

Many thanks

Jeff (U.K.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamondite Probem
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 07:42AM

Jeff it sounds like something is seriously wrong with your second coat and I really have no clue as to what it could be. Things like reversing the order of the resin and hardner 2:1 mix, 1:1 mix in error, picking up an incorrect bottle of other product to use, too small of a batch or who knows what could be involved. The "yellow in the cup" you note is strange - could you have picked up a Flexcoat hardner bottle and mixed it 1:1 with Swifty resin? Acetone is the reccommended thinner for clean up and you might try removal of the uncured layer with a small cloth. It sounds like total removal may be your only choice. I really would like to know if you figure out what happend - I do not believe this was directly related to the product but in something that occurred.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 08:56AM

Jeff -

Sorry to say that I too am mystified. I have had ZERO problems with Diamondite and neither has anyone that I have given instruction to - measuring with syringes, following instructions and proper mixing go a long way.

I agree with Bill that the "yellowing" makes me believe that something was crossed up or contaminated - neither the resin or the hardener are yellow, nor do they appear yellow during or after mixing. My only suggestion would match Bill's - removal of the offending finish and reapplication.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.6.88.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 11:28AM

Jeff,
Like the others, my experiences have all been positive. I have heard from this forum that cleanup with acetone will work. However, Most and perhaps all, modern graphite blanks are coated. These coats are quite susceptible to attack from acetone or other ketones such as MEK. From my own experience, I have observed the softening and dissolving of the finish from acetone.

I also would test acetone on some left over Diamondite before trying it on on your rod. If you do use acetone, you will need to apply it in such a way that it does not come in contact with the rest of your rod. You may also have to recoat the blank where the the wraps are with Perma Gloss in order to not leave any "border" problems. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Re: Diamondite Problem
Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 02:24PM

Jeff Mason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello to you all.
>
> Have just read all the good reports/updates on
> Diamondite the last couple of days,but I need some
> suggestions for a problem I have.
>
> It's the first time I've used it,and was looking
> for something low build and easy to mix/use,with a
> reasonable pot life when mixed.
>
> So.........I have built a #9 and a #10 fly rod
> ,mixed the Diamondite in a small measuring cup,and
> put the first coat on (have not used any color
> preserver).
> This first coat set hard and shiny,the unused mix
> in the cup was crystal clear and rock hard.
> 24 hours later I then applied the second (and was
> hoping that it would be the final) coat.
> This is where I have a problem,I must have not
> mixed it in the correct proportions,as the second
> coat would not harden fully , and the unused mix
> in the cup was slightly yellow and you could (and
> still can) press your thumbnail in there and leave
> a mark.
> I then tried leaving the rods turning overnight
> under 2 lights.
> No effect at all.
> I then tried heating up ,very carefully,with a hot
> air gun.
> This took the shine off the finish,but still
> remained slightly tacky.
> I left it a further 48 hours in direct sunlight
> but still no change.
> So,I mixed another batch (using syringes),and gave
> it a third coat.
> The unused mix in the cup has set crystal clear
> and rock hard,but the coat on the whippings is
> still slighty tacky.
> I made sure that I gave each whipping a full
> covering,but can't explain why it's still tacky
> (now 3 days later)but the unused mix is rock
> hard.
> I cut off a 3/4" female ferrule whipping to see
> how easy it was to remove,but it doesn't "peel"
> off like epoxy and it took me nearly an hour to
> clean off properly......so cutting off the
> whippings and starting again is not an option!
> Anyhow,I have now tried everything I can think of
> to rectify the situation,and would be interested
> to see if anyone out there has any other
> suggestions.
> I would be happy if I could remove the tacky coat
> even if it was a matt finish.......with some sort
> of solvent???
>
> Look forward to any suggestions.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Jeff (U.K.)
>

Jeff,

I am very puzzled by the yellow color. I do know of one issue I heard about where a builder left some of his cleaning solution (I don't remember which type) in the mixing cup and then started the next batch. His results were the same except the yellowing factor.

The best way to remove my finish is to warm it up using hot air to soften it and then remove it using a blade parallel to the blank. Please give me a call at the shop to discuss the steps you took in more detail.

I am sorry to hear you had a problem.

Thanks,

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 02:46PM

Good pick up Tim. It never occurred to me since I trash all brushes. He could have had a brush contaminated with brush cleaner.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 03:39PM

I didn't think of that either ... I also use disposable brushes, mixing cups, etc. Sounds like Tim may have it figured out ... please do let us know what you come up with Jeff.

Posted by: Jeff Mason (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 03:44PM

Hello to all again.

Many thanks for all your suggestions,it's good to have access to such a wealth of knowedge!

I will be giving Tim a call to discuss further before getting the blade anywhere near the GLX's,either way I will post the results afterwards.

Just a couple of notes:
The slight yellowing I mentioned was very very slight, just that it was not crystal clear as the 1st and 3rd coats had set.
I use the disposable brushes,so it's a new one every time.
I wouldn't have mixed any other product by mistake either as it's the only finish I have on the go at the moment.......as careful as I am I can only conclude that I got the mix proportions (on the 2nd coat) really wrong. Bearing in mind the 1st and 3rd coats have set rock hard,it can only be input error......mine!

Thanks again for all your help,I'll post the results.

Jeff

Re: Diamondite Problem
Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 04:21PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good pick up Tim. It never occurred to me since I
> trash all brushes. He could have had a brush
> contaminated with brush cleaner.

As I recall, the builder was using a solvent based cleaner that had remnants in his stainless cups. I had him wipe the cup he was using with a piece of white cotton cloth and he found a small amount of the cleaner remaining. I wish I could remember what it was he was using.

The bottom line was that the residual residue caused the finish not to cure.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster