I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

VIBRONICS rods, hook keepers and little guides
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 05:29PM

There have been many requests, mostly by email as to ware to purchase the open loop hook keepers, and tiny guides that I’m using on my rods.

After discussing it with the one vender who has currently committed to stocking both, he has given me permission to announce that

Bob McKammey of Custom Tackle has about 1000 of the open hook keepers in stock and is patiently waiting for the stocking order of tiny guides to arrive. When Bob ordered them from Batson Enterprises, it was with the knowledge that they would have to be manufactured and that the order would take about 6 months to fill. He is expecting to receive shipment in about 45 days.

With as many emails as I have received. If you are interested in purchasing some, I would suggest you call and place an advanced order.

I really don’t see what he has coming in being around very long, and when their gone it will take about 6 months for the next order to come in.

Custom Tackle #931-684-6164

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIBRONICS rods, hook keepers and little guides
Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:40PM

I bought a handful of the hook keepers from Bob at High Point last year, and have put them on everything I build. Since I probably use plastics 80% of the time it is great to be able to secure the lure without having to unrig the hook.

Will he be getting tips in useable tube sizes? The tiny Fuji tips seem to only come in very small tube sizes which are not practical for the available blanks.

My next rod I was planning on using an LSG3.5 single foot guide for a tip, but if Bob has something good coming maybe I can hold off

Date: August 24, 2007 07:38AM

I did not think to ask. I know they are available I presently have in my possession
Tube sizes
All with 3.5mm TiN Gold rings

I also did not think to ask what colors he had ordered. Because this required a substantial sized investment, he may have chosen to get just one color to be able to provide larger quantities of each size and to see how well they would do before investing in several colors.
But that was way before this article was printed. As Bill Batson said "now that it’s out" I'm sure there will be a lot more interest in them. So even if there is a limited color selection at the moment, it is sure to change as their popularity changes.

As soon as I can arrange it I will have some one take pic's and post them for people to get a better idea of how they look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2007 07:38AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:05AM

I first would like to thank those of you that have shown interest in these new items that we at Custom Tackle Supply are and will be offering. A "Special Thanks" to Steve Gardner for sharing this information with others. To answer a few of the questions - {1}Mike Harris - Yes we will be offering the tips in usable sizes that are for pratical usage. I know that we are going to have them up to a size 6 for sure and I am working on having from tube sizes 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 & possibly 6.5 & 7. {2} Steve Gardner - The first two series of guides that I have coming, which are products that Bill Batson & Karry Batson of Batson Enterprises have helped co-ordinate for me, will be a double black plated frame with a hard aluminum oxide ring guide that is black, along with matching tips with a size 3 ring. The other series of guides, which will be the higher end series of the two, will be a guide with the PVD Ti-Ch coated frame and a shiney black zirconium ring. The "Mini Guides" will be offered in sizes 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5 & 3. There are exsisting Batson/Forecast and Alps guides that will incorporate with these new mini guides for casting and spinning. These guides feature the SS316 stainless frame. I am in the process of working on a chart that will detail all of this info of what guides will match in each series. For the casting double footedguides that will be used in these series, the newly introduced Alps Light XN guides are a fantastic match-up. For the single foot higher frame type single foot spinning guides to be used with the mini-guides, I suggest the Forecast VS or VS3 style. For any of you that would like to discuss this newer system of guide set-ups, you can contact me by calling 931-684-6164 or e-mail me at -- customtackle@united.net. I am very excited about getting all of this system up and going and would gladly discuss your questions. More yet even to come!! Stayed tuned.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:30AM

That sounds great, I’m not one to get hung up on color the TiN should be fine. I saw the rods and talked to you briefly at High Point last year so I am looking forward to getting my hands on them. I talked to Bob a couple of months ago and at that time he didn’t have a good idea when they would available it’s good now that they are getting close.

One thing that I haven’t heard mentioned is the reduction in wind resistance of the small guides. When you make hundreds of casts in a day, especially something like a 1/16 or 3/32 oz shaky head on a spinning rod that you really have to whip it to get any distance, it should really add up.

Date: August 24, 2007 12:56PM

Mike;
I can only speak from personal experience Shaky head fishing is what I built the first spinning rod to do, and have never had to "really have to whip it to get any distance"
I think you will love these little guides for this application!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 03:50PM

Good to see this post. If I remember correctly all the way back from the 80s (and maybe earlier), Bob you're the earliest suppliers to stock graphite tennessee handle rigs and improved it through the years. Good to see you push the edge in stocking these tiny guides too.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster