I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ideas?
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 09:17AM

I am now specifically looking for a 7' spinning blank, MH, Fast Action, 10 - 20# line, around a 1/2 - 1 1/2 lure weight. any one have soemthing great?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ideas?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 09:22AM

THere are probably 40 blanks to choose from for this. HAve you looked at any catalouges? What Blank Manu do you like? What are you fishing for?

Date: August 21, 2007 09:26AM

I know there are about 40, but I am having a hard time choosing. I need the best for my father. I shop through merrick.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 09:37AM

Lami CGBT841LL is a great rod for those ratings for Schoolie Striped Bass & Bluefish from a boat.

Date: August 21, 2007 09:38AM

Thanks billy. I like that blank too. Do you know much about Rogue blanks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 09:40AM by John Straus.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:42AM

Did you not like the responses from this question when you asked it yesterday??

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:44AM

You may want to look at the G Loomis SJ842-GLX & SJ843-IMX blanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2007 11:07AM

What type fishing does your father do? What is he casting and fishing for? That would held narrow the selection.

Date: August 21, 2007 11:23AM

He mostly fishes for blues and striped bass, occassionly a bonito or false albacore, but he likes the fight of the light spinning rods. He asked for those specs.

And Scott.
No, I didnt really get the answer I was looking for, But I did now.

Posted by: robert smith (---.dhcp.mant.nc.charter.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 02:19PM

from the questions that you ask it's obvious you are not a custom building or a retailer. How in the world do you have a Merrick account? I guess anyone can get a tax number.

Date: August 21, 2007 02:27PM

Why can't I ask a question without getting antagonized? I am new to the hobby/business and am looking for what you guys like to use in situations where I am not as well informed as others are. If this forum is meant for something else, let me know. I simply answered the questions posed to me in response to my question. Everyone has been helpful but you, Robert. Thanks to everyone else.

Date: August 21, 2007 04:08PM

Your not being antagonized. Those of us with experience are willing to help a beginner out BUT (1)Guys get tired of someone asking the same questions 5 different ways and (2) wholesale accounts are for those actively in the business not for those who want to save a couple of bucks when making a rod for a relative.
I certainly hope someone from merrick reads this thread so they can take note and act accordingly.

Posted by: John Straus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 04:37PM

I only asked the question once, however started a new thread as no one was going back to that one to answer it because it was older. And try to go back to when you started out and tried to sell some rods, its not easy and you run into problems. I would think someone like you would be a little more understanding. If it bothers you, then don't answer the questions you think are annoying to you, there is no need to go out of your way to put someone down.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 04:42PM

Super Seekers.

So you set up and declared to build rods as a business? The tax man cometh.

Posted by: John Straus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 04:47PM

Nothing about what I am doing is wrong.

Date: August 21, 2007 05:17PM

I didn't say you did anything wrong did I? US gov requires FET on each rod built as a business. You've apparently declared yourself as a business if you've a Merrick account. And from what the guys doing this as a business say, the govt certainly knows to expect their quarterly payment.
I merely stated fact, with no wrong doing implied. Now if you don't like any of that, well then take it up with the IRS. TINSTAAFL

Date: August 21, 2007 08:29PM

Well you may not be doing anything wrong according to the IRS, but you are discrediting every custom builder who has busted his/her hump and paid their dues to have the ability to operate a business as a custom builder. Let me see if I have this right, You just started building rods in the very near past, you don't even have enough experience, maybe even competence, to be able to chose a common quality medium action blank, yet you have declared yourself a custom builder, complete with a business license and wholesale accounts. Do I have this correct?

And yes I do remember when I was starting out where I built several rods free of charge for family, friends, co workers and anyone else who would take one until I felt I had enough skill to even consider myself a custom builder. And yes, all that time I paid retail for my parts.

This will be last post on the subject and I hope you reconsider your business ethics.

Date: August 21, 2007 08:30PM

edited out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 08:32PM by robert smith.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:59PM

John,
I feel your pain here!

robert smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well you may not be doing anything wrong according
> to the IRS, but you are discrediting every custom
> builder who has busted his/her hump and paid their
> dues to have the ability to operate a business as
> a custom builder. Let me see if I have this
> right, You just started building rods in the very
> near past, you don't even have enough experience,
> maybe even competence, to be able to chose a
> common quality medium action blank, yet you have
> declared yourself a custom builder, complete with
> a business license and wholesale accounts. Do I
> have this correct?
>
> And yes I do remember when I was starting out
> where I built several rods free of charge for
> family, friends, co workers and anyone else who
> would take one until I felt I had enough skill to
> even consider myself a custom builder. And yes,
> all that time I paid retail for my parts.
>
> This will be last post on the subject and I hope
> you reconsider your business ethics.
>

So, let me get this straight Robert Smith. If I as a hobbiest opens a business account with Merrick or anyone else for that matter in order to
obtain supplies at the "wholesale" level, that make me a bane to those professional shops who work at it full time and that Merrick should
upon discovery of my "hobbyness" should boot me from their roster? Wake up and smell the coffee my friend!

Just because ANY rodbuilder happens to have a TAX ID number it certianly does NOT mean they are in the BUSINESS of selling rods!
My dad just happens to have one because he is a part-time crafter of leather goods, ceramics, & jewelery and is required to pay taxes
on the sales he does at craft shows. Although he CAN buy WHOLESALE he still pays RETAIL for the rod building blanks & componants he buys
and he certianly does NOT have to! Yes, there can be additional headaches with the state & federal tax authorities. However, with proper
documentation that is no problem.

I certainly concur with the idea that a rodbuilder who has NOT really learned the craft and obtained the skills & knowledge needed to
produce a quality product should NOT open a business and try to sell rods to the public. Poor quality goods built by inexperienced and
unknowlegable craftsmen sold to the public at large, do more to harm ANY craftsmen based businesses than anything else I can think of.
However, a TAX ID number does NOT a full-time businessman make!

John Straus was asking questions about building a rod for his FATHER not some deep pockets client. So what if he has a business name
on paper and is able to buy "wholesale". Unless I missed something HE IS NOT HURTING ANYONE! Either answer his question about
blank choices or not. Just don't ASSUME!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 22, 2007 02:14AM

You are sorta correct there Raymond. But you know in reading posts, assumptions are made.
A bit of a ploy, but I posed a pretty bland stmt to sniff him out. "The tax man cometh". It's an absolute stmt of fact, but it also prods a response. Now as you noted "Yes, there can be additional headaches with the state & federal tax authorities." That was your reaction to the tax man. That wasn't his. His response to that simple stmt was very defensive. There's some evidence there psychologically. I'd say he at least believes he is doing something not quite legit.
For what it's worth, there's a book I reread periodically called "Never Be Lied to Again", I think by an author named Lieberman if I remember right. Thin little book but with some techniques I've found helpful.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster