I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

andy dear mandrels
Posted by: neal bixler (---.midco.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 11:31PM

heres an easy question, im a amatuer / hobby rod builder and i cant find andys mandrels availible anywhere unless i have a tax id etc can anyone point me to a supplier prefrebly from on sponser here ? ive looked until im crosseyed. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: andy dear mandrels
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 11:37PM

try fishsticks4u

go up to the top right dropdown, and select "andy dear"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 11:49PM

Fishstick4U and Binghams. I would strongly recommend that you get the threaded wood mandrels if possible. They make life a LOT easier and worth it in the long run [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 10:49AM

Neal,
Where are you looking? All of my distributors.....Bingham Ent. Angler's Workshp and FishSticks all sell my mandrels to individual RodBuilders who do not have business liscense, and all are sponsors here.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: neal bixler (---.midco.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 12:23PM

thanks guys i guess i misread or didnt read the whole way through on a few ,after so long at the screen i guess i get a little brain dead lol

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 01:07PM

NEAL;

You may have to call the supplier directly; I searched Angler's Workshop's web site and I couldn't locate them. Not even through a "Manufacturers Search" The only thing listed for Lamar Mfg. was Thread Master... Mike Barkley speaks so highly of them, I'm interested in looking at them too.

RON.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 01:17PM

[www.fishsticks4u.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 03:01PM

THANKS, DAVE. THAT WAS EASY. I'LL LOOK INTO THEM.

RON.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 03:11PM

When on our website , you can click on Lamar Mfg , Search and type in mandrel , Fine Item ,or Misc / Other and any of those four ways will take you to mandrels , and all sizes are in stock .

Robert

Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: August 15, 2007 05:23PM

Virtually anything Andy makes is top-quality, and top-value. We've learned that he just doesn't put the items out for sale until they are fully ready.

We've tried virtually all of his stuff and I am continually amazed at how easy it is to work with, and how well it works in practical use.

And Andy's always available to support questions, on this BBS. So are his distributers.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 05:54PM

Question

I use a set of madrills I made on my lathe and I like turning on mandrills.

If Andy's a nicer than mine I would been interested in buying a set. The problem is I can't find a picture of the mandrills anywhere. I can find pics of sections of them but I can't find pics of the whole thing to see what they actually look like to tell if he has come up something better than what I already have.

Any if you have a pic you can email me or have a link where I can see one it would be a big help.
cover@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

Ray

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 06:10PM

Ray,

It's a perfectly straight mandrel with a 60degree cone on each end to fit the tail stock. Not much to see really. Also offered are the "threaded on one end" mandrels for holding items like wood and acrylic. Same mandrel, only threaded, with an added sleve, nut, and stop.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 07:43PM

Ray,

Heres his threaded wood turning mandrel [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 15, 2007 09:15PM

Ok Thanks guys,

That's pretty much what I am already using. From the pic it looks like it is just a ground rod with shaft collars and brass spacers to hold the collars away from the material and keep the lathe bit out of the ground finish on the shaft.

The threaded version is pretty close to what I made but I used delrin for the spacers rather than brass.

Thanks fellas.

Ray

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: August 16, 2007 11:37AM

Ron: Jon at Anglers Workshop is a great guy to work with. Even tho he might not have it in stock he can get most things for you. Their ph 360-225-9445
Good Weaps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster