I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork lather mandrel questions
Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 05:57PM

I've got a flex-coat style hand drill cork lathe set up. I have been forming my grips by hand with files and sand paper to this point with the rings glued to the blank. Do you reccomended turning cork on the blank or on a mandrel? What set do you use? With turning on a blank, do you just use some tape bushungs around a drill bit and insert it into the butt? I'm a little nervouse about using power tools to turn cork on a blank......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork lather mandrel questions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 06:44PM

Personally, I always use a mandrel. The worst that can happen is you screw up a handle. If you turn it on the blank and screw it up, you've got to get it off the blank to replace it. You also run the risk of wrecking a blank!! I play it safe abd turn on a mandrel.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 07:04PM

William,
I used to turn my grips on the rod with a jig like yours. Right now I have an inexpensive hobby lathe and turn the jigs on a manfrel. One nice thing is that you can glue up some cork and turn several grips at one time and have them ready for when you build rods. I usually turn all of my grips outside during the spring, fall, and winter. With the temp being in the high 90's and it even reached 101 degrees today I don't much like to do anything outside.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 07:34PM

William,
I'd use the mandrels. You get a lot straighter handel than making them on the rod.

Re: Cork lathe mandrel questions
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 10:12PM

One thing that's always puzzled me RE: mandrel-turning, and that's getting the bore concentric with the rod, once installed, along with a tight front ring, to avoid the use of a 'hosel', or a winding check, to mask the over-bore up front.....as one reams to the bore and taper of the rod.
I suppose with the use of dedicated gritty reamers, this goes away.
But them how many gritty reamers does one need, and are they effective in keeping the first ring snug, along with the concentric thing.
A lot of corks sold these days, do not have the hub bore exactly in the center of the ring. So when placing on a 1/4" mandrel, the corks are immediately machined to an OD less than the undersize metric 31mm's...to get all the corks cylinderical.
The rings we see here are no longer 1.25: they have not been there for years. Several builders out of my area turn on the blank. Several do not.
It's pretty difficult to turn a 24" grip, with a sliding reel seat, and ream same, using a mandrel. Flyrods, probably OK.
I turn on the blank, and have yet to destroy either a grip or the blank. (Of course there's always a first time !!!!! :-> )

Posted by: Colin Dunn (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 11:40PM

Ken, I blew up a 10/10 blank a couple weeks ago, but as you said there aren't any mandrels out there that will take a 24" grip. So i do my fly grips on a mandrel, mooching, float and spey on the blank (I just try to be more careful).

Colin

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 08:29AM

Colin
I do any really long grips in sections. Then glue onto the blank.

Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 08:52AM

What is the cheapest lathe you can buy

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 10:14AM

I will be using a drill as the powersource for tuning the butt grip I plan on putting on the rod I currently am building. I will be using a 3/8" with fender washers for clamping the rings together while glueing then removing the washers and shaping the grip on the same bolt . Turning, using a mandrel (bolt) will give me a finished grip that is equal distance from the center so I don't forsee any problems with my grip being off center doing it this way. The only way I could make it off center is if I don't take my time and ream it properly.

As a former machinist I've come to the realisation that nothing is perfect. It is just the tolerences that you are willing to accept. Close is 2 things. A matter of perception and your ability to measure the finished product.

I hope this isn't too far off subject and helps

darby

Posted by: William Zafirau (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 08:21PM

For those of you using mandrels, how do you attach the cork to the mandrel?

Thanks in advance........

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 08:30PM

It is what is know as an interference fit. That means the size of the hole is slightly smaller than the size of the mandrel. If we were using a mandrel on metal products the mandrel would have a slight taper to provide the interference

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 05:27PM

William Zafirau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those of you using mandrels, how do you attach
> the cork to the mandrel?
>
> Thanks in advance........

William, I glue up my cork on a 1/4" threaded rod and when it's set I transfer to one of Andy's 1/4" inch cork mandrels by inserting the mandrel into a cordless drill and spin the amndrel while feeding the cork blank onto it. The little bit of glue that remains when you remove the threaded rod holds the cork from spinning. After shaping the handle remove from the mandrel the same way.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 14, 2007 10:06PM

We use both pre-formed grips and rings, depending on the requirement. We also use combinations of cork and inserts, which can be exotic woods, different kinds of cork rings (such as darker colors, burnt, etc.), or various rinds of plastic materials. These insert rings are rarely the same diameter as the grip itself, so we have to cut them down to fit.

We do almost all the general shaping work on a mandrel. Andy Dear's mandrel set covers most of our needs. We use the smallest diameter we can, either filling the pre-drilled hole (if the rings or pre-formed grip have one) or making our own centered holes (if they don't). We use a drill-press to get the hole started, but rarely do we try to cut the hole to final size at this point. When we get lucky the hole will be a little smaller than the diameter of the mandrel and the friction-fit will keep the workpiece nice and tight on the shaft. If not, we wrap the mandrel with tape to get the friction-fit we need. If the insert rings are larger than the grips we first file or sand them to the rough diameter of the rest of the assembly, then fit up the whole thing on the mandrel and pretty well finish it off.

As has been said above, this way, if we mess it up, we're not dealing with having to get it off the rod.

We do all of the final fit-and-finish work on the rod itself, but this is very minimal shaping - mostly just a little touch with a high-grit paper. This includes where the grip meets the butt cap, or the reel-seat, or where the foregrip meets the reel-seat. Sometimes we'll just take super-fine jeweler's files to make those last adjustments under a magnifier.

We do the final fitting of the hole in the grip assembly using a series of reamers. We use the Dream Reamer set, always starting with the smallest we can get away with. Since these are tapered, we ream the grip from rear to front, so the taper matches the shape of the rod. We "try" the fit until it's just snug, without having to use tape. We've also made a set of our own shapes and sizes using pieces of broken rods, two-part rod epoxy, and reaming grits including super fine, medium,and rough. A little reaming and a lot of fitting seems to work fairly well. Like my buddy says, there's nothing quite like 2,300rpm and a light touch.

- hope that helps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster