I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Straightest axis
Posted by: Bruce Penn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:01PM

Can someone please explain to me the meaning of "straightest axis"? I am new to rod building and have built a total of five rods. Four have been on Rainshadow Blanks and one on a Lamiglas Blank. From my untrained eye, all have been extremely straight, no dips, bumps etc. I simply put the guides on in line with the center of the reel seat. Is this o.k.? I don't want to inflame the discussion on the spline/spine thing. Just trying to find my way.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straightest axis
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:05PM

Straightest axis is nothing more than you looking down the blank and placing the guides on the straightest looking "side" of the blank. Some blanks, like you mentioned can be very straight, but most have a slight curve to them, mostly near the tip, when you spin them around and eye down the blank.

DR

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:13PM

sometimes you wont see it until you rotate the rod while sighting down it. It will look straight and as you rotate you will notice its not, most are slightly curved. I am yet to find a perfectly straight blank to build on.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:18PM

ok now lets clarify this when you are looking down and find the curve where do you decide to place the guides? with the curve point up or down?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:30PM

Most blanks will have a curve in them. If you spin the blank so the belly of the curve is down. With the tip and the butt end curved up. When you place your guides on the blank, they will tend by their weight to slightly if not completely straighten out the curve. So that the end product looks straighter.

If you build it with the belly up then the finished product looks as if it is sagging.

If you build it with the curve to the side. The rod will always look crooked when you sight down it.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 10:29PM

Does anyone else find a majority of GUSA's are dead straight? I've built on and sold them from 6# up to their heaviest 130# blanks, and there are very few which are not straight.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2007 11:04PM

The GUSA's are fairly straight. However, they do have a curve. Lock the butt in two rod supports spaced just about 6 inches apart. Put another support out just past the tip. Now rotate the blank and watch the eliptical pattern the tip traces on the outboard rod support.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 11:24PM

Tom, is this with the newer blanks they've been hanging with weights?

Posted by: John Trella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 01:20AM

I just picked a GUSA up last week and it is as Tom described. Very slight at the tip, not nearly as off as the Calstar and Shikari I have here. I have no Idea if it's new or old inventory.

If it is pretty straight overall, How would you guys build it? Spine or on the straight axis? It does have a very strong spine effect. It snaps really hard to one spot. Well harder then others I have spined.

-JOHN

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2007 08:36AM

I'd build on the straightest axis which is usually also the stiffest axis (this is not 180 degrees opposite of the spine).

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.244.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 01:35AM

Right. Spin it around while gunsighting it to see where the least amount of bend/deflection is. Usually, any deflection is in the first two feet of the tip. I like to put the bend pointing down because (1) it is easier for me to see a downward bend and (2) I personally like to put the natural position of the blank towards the fish. I have no scientific reasoning other than "feel" and what I was taught a long time ago. Does it matter? I don't know, but I have never had a rod I built break in my own hands, and have never had one returned to me for repair.

If I have a blank that is basically straight as an arrow, only then will I spine the rod. At that point, I put the "weak" side towards the fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster