I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rope Grips
Posted by: Drew Smith (---.gorge.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 01:39AM

I need to do a repair on a stand-up rod that had the eva crushed in a harness. I really do not want to do eva again, because I know that it will happen again, and that rod will not fit into a standard rod holder with the eva. I am leaning toward using a rope grip - surf style I guess. I really do not know anything about it. Have tried some searches, but nothing.

Do I do a simple thread style tuck to start and end?

And, how about finish? Do I need it? If so, what? It would take me a couple of bottles of permagloss for that much material.

I do have a couple of ropes on hand that I could use. One is a spectra/poly that is high memory (stiff) and no stretch (2.8mm), and the other is a nylon/poly with medium memory and no stretch (3.0mm). A third option that I intend on buying for another project is similar to the first, but 1.5mm. The spectra/poly looks the coolest though.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rope Grips
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 02:53AM

I stongly suggest using Nylon cord. Try different diameters for comfort. I like paracord among others. You can tack it down with adhesive or not. Your choice. I had good results using some Rod Bond but next time I'll try the Lamar Epoxy. Too much glue will harden the feel of the cord. There is a good article on this in RodMaker Magazine. Check the link for the particular back issue. Just thin out the ends to avoid bumps. I twist the spiralling cord against itself as the final step to tighten it all down. Cord makes a great grip and it's easy to change.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2007 08:41AM

RodMaker Magazine had a complete article on making cord grips in the Volume 9 #3 issue.

For your purposes, you'll want to "toughen" the ouside of the cord for heavy duty use and resistance to abrasion. I've made many wading staff handles with nylon cord and coated then with Permagloss. About 3 coats usually makes them tough as nails without making the cord appear glossy.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:22AM

Drew, go to your local home center (I've tried Home Depot and Lowes, but the last time I loaded up on cord, Home Depot had more options) and pick up some nylon twine in various thicknesses. You do wrap it on the grip just like a guide, tucking the ends underneath. You may want to put something over the ends -- on my surf rods, I use EVA grips -- both to lock in the ends and also to cover the end wrap.

I use marine urethane on my cord grips, and it's worked very, very well. A quart will cost you about 10 bucks, and will last just about forever. I wish I had a picture of the grips I just did -- maybe I'll go home later today and take one and post it.

I'm a big, big fan of cord grips. Cord is extremely durable, light, and feels great in the hand. And it's easy to replace, and cheap to boot. I've used it primarily on surf rods (I build mostly surf rods), but I like cord so much I've experimented with it on other rods too. Do some experiements on a scrap blank (or even on a scrap broomstick), and I think you'll like it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:47AM

Cue makers drill a small shallow hole in the substrate - sitck the chord in the hole - dot with superglue - wait a few seconds - wrap away - no pull through thickness to burnish.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 10:21AM

Drew,
I too have built a lot of rods using cord handles. I think that you have received some good advice above but here are a couple of additional things to consider. Nylon works well and is softer so easier on your hands but will get dirty especially if it is a light color and should probably be coated with something like Permaglos. Polypropylene is a bit harder on your hands but does not need any coating as it will not get dirty. It will last for years on a rod without any coating. Polypropylene also comes in many more colors.
I think that the smaller diameter cord tends to be a little more comfortable on your hands and I think easier to wrap.
I fray the ends of the cord before wrapping over it and if you do this you will not end up with a large bump at the ends. Also I use a thin coating of epoxy on the blank that I wrap the cord over.
Cord handles are not light so I would not use it on any light rod that is going to be used to cast with but surf rods are probably OK and it works especially well on boat rods. I wrap the cord on first and then apply the butt cap and reel seat and press the butt cap and reel seat against the cord with enough pressure while the epoxy drys so as to not get any unsightly gaps between the butt cap or reel seat and the cord.
If you want to experiment a little you can simultaneously wrap on a couple of colors of cord that matches the color of the wraps on the rod. I think it really looks nice when the colors of the cord matches the colors of the wraps on the rod.
I think that the tubular material that is available now is probably a better choice for both surf and boat rods and you might want to consider it instead of cord handles. It will be lighter and just as durable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster