I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocking problem
Posted by: Bruce Penn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 10:08PM

I like the feel of flocked grips and have used them on the last several grips I've put on rods. The problem that I've encountered is that when I remove the residual glue that accumulates at either end of the reel seat, a portion of the flock is also removed. What I'm left with is somewhat unsightly. I've been waiting three days for the glue to cure. What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocking problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2007 10:14PM

It shouldn't remove the flock, but it would still be unsightly.

Assuming you've followed the instructions from RodMaker to the letter, I'd suggest that your flocking job is okay. What you need to do now is get that epoxy off the rod and grip before fully seating the grip.

As you slide the grip down, stop and remove the excess at regular intervals - don't let a large amount build up there.

Or, you can install the grip first, then seal and flock after it's been mounted on the rod. That's part of the beauty of the flocking process - the stuff isn't going to stick anywhere you don't have the special adhesive. So you can flock before, or after, the grip has been installed.

Date: August 05, 2007 10:23PM

What I did not make clear in my original post was that it is the alcohol that is removing the flocking material . I think I'll follow Tom's suggestion and apply the flock after I've mounted the grips.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2007 10:31PM

The only thing you'll need to do then, is carefully tape off the reel seat so you don't get adhesive on it. Same with the blank just ahead of the grip.

Date: August 05, 2007 10:39PM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply and advice. This gives me an excuse to build another rod!

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 11:15PM

I also apply the flock after everything has been glued up and epoxied. It is a pain but doing it that way is better than having to worry about getting glue or epoxy in the flock.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 09:45AM

The real problem area is the leading edge that you are moving into place. Put a loose fitting inverted rubber grommet on the lower end and allow it to wipe excess Rod Bond from the blank while you are shoving into place. Go a little at a time wipe excess from the leading edge grommet wiper and be careful. When the grip is in place and grommet surface is wiped cut grommet and remove. I soon discovered that I was applying way to much epoxy on the blanks when placing grips - ream the cork right and it does not take very much to get a strong attachment. Getting epoxy on a well flocked grip is really a bummer - changes the surface - discolors - alcohol removes epoxy and flock. The use of a thin silver or gold cork spacer ring on the reel seat end will give you enough room to clean extruded excess before it gets on the flock surface. I use a dental pic to remove any excess that appears when placing seat. Your can develop work practices that will not allow this to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2007 09:47AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster