I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

national custom rod building championship?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 11:53AM

I was Google-ing some custom rod building websites to get some ideas for my future site when I came upon Signature Custom Fishing Rods. The web page tells me the builder is the "2 time National Custom Rod Building Champion". I have never heard of this contest before? Can anyone tell me where it is held or where I find out more information about this national contest?
Thanks
Buzz

[www.signaturefishingrods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: national custom rod building championship?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 12:05PM

Buzz - Have your ever spent any time in a real "ole time pool hall"? There are a lot more "fish" than there are "hustlers"! His claims caught your attention and I will bet his "stringer" stays quite full! He will probably wrap some rods while you are Googling.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2007 12:57PM

Buzz,

Most likely you're talking about Jim Grandt (unless somebody new has popped up to claim the title).

At one of the tackle industry trade shows some years ago, Gudebrod staged a "competition" for a world championship rod builder. Obviously it was intended to promote their rod wrapping thread to the buyers there. Jim won the competition from among a half dozen or so entered. He did so two years running, which I think was the total duration of the contest. This is his basis for the title.

How much credence you give to his title depends on whether or not you see Gudebrod as any sort of governing body in custom rod building, and whether or not you consider the number and quality of the other contestants to be substantial enough. But Jim is not claiming anything that isn't true - according to Gudebrod he was and is their two time "National Rod Building Champion."

I'll add something else here - for anyone who wants to climb on Jim's case about this (it happens a few times each year) consider what you would do had you entered Gudebrod's contest and won. Would you not mention it in your custom rod building business advertising? Would you just let it go unnoticed? Or would you at least try to parlay it into some additional custom rod sales?

I'll grant you that Jim isn't providing a lot of details on the title, but I'm not sure he's not doing what a lot of other guys would do if they had won Gudebrod's contest. Jim isn't hurting anyone here so I really don't see any harm being done. It's up the potential buyer to look into the title, if he or she is so inclined to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 01:04PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: July 29, 2007 01:02PM

Ah.........I see, .......... "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone"................ thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 01:30PM

Tom,
I am really impressed with the way you phrased that. I could not have put together a more appropriate response if I worked on it for several hours. You can be very articulate and a real gentleman sometimes, maybe even most of the time.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 01:43PM

Emory;
You and I are in total aggreement on this one
Well stated Tom!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 02:01PM

That link isn't Grandt but the same type of "pre-packaged Custom" rods

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 02:19PM

They are an "Authorized Dealer of Grandt Industries". So says the small print.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 04:37PM

Very well said Tom, very delicate !

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 05:46PM

Did he get a six year old to write "Designed For Your Name" on that rod?

Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 08:09PM

Well I guess I'm going to have to put up some excessive claim on my site so someone will question it on this forum and include the website link. How much traffic was driven to his site from this post? Tom, you should send him a bill for advertising fees.

Edit to add: Knowing of the quality builders currently building custom rods, even if I won that competition yesterday, I would be embarrassed to make such claim with less than say 100 builders involved in a nationwide event. Think about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 08:13PM by robert smith.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2007 08:44PM

I doubt he's going to get many people from this site to buy custom rods from him. I'd think most of us here build our own rods.

What he needs to do is explain the title a bit more and just say that he is a "Gudebrod National Rod Building Champion." I think that would take care of everything.

Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 09:13PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I doubt he's going to get many people from this
> site to buy custom rods from him. I'd think most
> of us here build our own rods.
>
> What he needs to do is explain the title a bit
> more and just say that he is a "Gudebrod National
> Rod Building Champion." I think that would take
> care of everything.

I respectfully beg to differ. How many anglers in the market for a custom rod google "custom fishing rod" and end up at this site. This forum is usually the number one search search result on most search engines. I'm willing to bet many, many of our prospective customers view our conversations everyday.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 01:17AM

Tempest in a teapot.

Anyone who comes to comes to this fine site looking for a custom rod will almost certainly look scrutinize the Photo Pages looking at examples of the builders represented there. Having seen the workmanship on display there I cannot imagine anyone settling for the work of Mr. Grant. I examined the photos on his site when I was just starting out in the craft. I found his work to be most unappealing aesthetically and far behind the curve in creativity so evident on the photo pages.

That said, there is still no accounting for taste in art or any area. I do not begrudge anyone their legally and morally earned successes. On the other hand I think Gudebrod crossed a line of credibility to claim the power to award a national championship based upon such a limited number of entries. Were entries sought from every state of the Union over a reasoable period of time to accomodate the process? If not they had no right to attach that title to their competition. Nothing Gude about that; Bro, D.... ave Gilberg

Date: July 30, 2007 01:15PM

Robert,
I would like to respond to your post via email but it is hidden. Please send it to me at
rodmaker@dotnet.com

thanks,
Buzz

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: July 31, 2007 05:36PM

Well, I will have you folks know that my granddaughter is the New International World Champion Rod Builder. We sent out emails to possible competitors in at least 2 countries (three if you count Louisiana) and invited them to compete for the title. Also included with the title was a small plastic tiara and a hug from gramma. The competition was not diminished by the fact that only one other person decided to compete but could not wait for the judging because he had to get home before their ankle bracelet notified the authorities he was missing.
She will be advertising her great feat to all that care to buy these magnificent sticks at a later date. The winner will be taking orders as soon as she gets home from school and will be able to work on orders only if she has finished her homework and cleaned her plate each evening.
SEE HOW EASY IT IS GUYS? Anyone can do it and it means nothing!

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 07:32PM

Hey Dave that was a cheap shot at Louisiana lol J/k But thanks for the free press by mentioning Louisiana lol. I guess we are in another world down here.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster