I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook Keeper Alignment
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 01:20PM

I usually put my hook keeper for a spin rods or fly rods directly in line with the guides. More out of habit than anything else. How do some of the rest of you do it and why? Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook Keeper Alignment
Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 01:23PM

Some bamboo fly rod makers offset the h/k by one flat... (no reason, just style) I used to offset all h/k on the graphite rods about 45degrees, but found that it is easier just to line all of it up at the same time! So now all goes in line with the guides, graphite and bamboo.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: July 27, 2007 02:07PM

I put mine on the side that the reel handle will be on.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 02:18PM

I put the hookkeeper on the 90 degree mark oppisite side to the predominate hand. Left side for a right handed person and visa aersa for a left handed person. This way when they hold the rod up to put hook in the keeper they can see it and it does not interfere with anything.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 02:48PM

Bass and inshor light/medium action rods. Same as the above posts and still about 1/2 of them will take a pair of wire cutters and cut them off. If they do not want one specifically I would leave them off on the ones built with standard 30 ring guides. If they end up putting the wrong reel on a rod with too heavy of a line slap will mess with their minds and they will think the hook keeper is a causing all their problems. If you are using the high post new style spinning guides with a higher and smaller ring the keeper then is never in the way if placd on the side or top.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 03:23PM

on my own rods i put the hookeeper at 90 degrees on the left side behind the reelseat. This keeps it out of the way for my purposes.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 03:30PM

Lately, I've been putting it on the bottom in the split grip area

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 04:31PM

I only use them IF I have too!

I like Mikes deal on the split grip, only problem with that is if the guy is a two handed caster, then he fights it on two handed casts. You can put it up above the rear grip and near the rear reel seat grip, but then the lure hooks tear up the rear seat grip if you really use the HK.

Personally I dont like them one bit. Thats what quality guides are for, hang the lures there.

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 05:29PM

I do the same as Mike Botton side behind reel regardless if its a split grip or not.

Posted by: Tim Hoffland (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 06:49PM

I move them 90 to one side, and up about 6" from the upper grip because I find that when I have to walk any distance on the beach or lakes, that I like to carry the rod there since it balances at that point.

A quick note, on one 9'6" spinning rod I made, I accidentally put it on the top of the rod and sometimes when I have slack in the line after casting, the hook keep will grab the line. Doesn't happen often, but it would be nice if I'd paid more attention when I built it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 07:43PM

Cannot put them on the bottom split grip area if you are fishing in a center console boat with standup rod holders in the side of the console. If a She Dog got down in there with treble hooks you will spend the day trying to get the rod out of the holder. I watch spinning rod guys who get a "wrap" after casting with line tangled everywhere and they end up cursing the hkpr for being the root of all evil in the world. I have never had a guy with a baitcaster bring a rod back and ask me to take the keeper off.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.2.121.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 01:04PM

Hello all,
On fly rods and spinnng rods, I place the hookkeeper about 1/4 of an inch from the fore grip and aligned with the guides. I have never had any trouble with this arrangement. I normally don't use rod holders, but certainly understand how lures could make for an unpleasant day when rod holders are used. I have noticed on the sportfishing boats for salmon and bottom fish here on the west coast, the rods that you rent or are provided, do not have hookkeepers. Instead the lure or hook is attached to the butt guide. This certainly makes sense when you think about those hooks catching on the rod holders.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 12:25AM

I often find myself using the butt guide or a reel crossbar as the hook keeper. I think every rod I have has an official hook keeper on it, but they are usually a bit small, too close to the rod, and a few times I found the hook point digging into the rod surface. So most of the time I use the butt guide, and if I tie the leader a little long, a reel crossbar. I little longer leader yet might find me going arong the reel and then back up to whatever convenient guide. Not that elegant perhaps, but it works for fishing and that is what a rod is supposed to do. If I gotta baby it, then it isn't going fishing.
In the old days I used to bury the hook in a cork handle, Had a surprise or two when picking up a rod that way, so I don't do that anymore.
Now if you are going to put one on a rod, I think it should be on the same side as the tip ring, or at least within 90 degrees of that plane either way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster