I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eva grips
Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 12:55PM

I have a tapered eva grip. I am sure this is a stupid question but I have to ask this is my first time installing this type of grip up until now all cork. But of course my girlfriend didnt want a cork grip. Does the tappered end or smaller end go towards the but end of blank. Thanks again for all the help I receive here. And another thing to get the butt caps to fit do I just sand the grip down should I do this before intalling on blank. Thanks again

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2007 12:57PM by Brent Keever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eva grips
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 01:53PM

i like it so the small end goes to the bottom of the rod and the larger end goes at the reel seat...i guess you could do it the other way around if you like though

it more or less depends on how you want it

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: July 27, 2007 01:55PM

It could go either way whichever looks better to you. I typically use the straight EVA on my rear grip and tapered for the front. I guess you could make the argument that if you were fishing out of a rod holder it may be easier to slide it into the rod holder with the skinny end pointed toward the butt, it's a weak argument but the only one I could come up with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2007 03:05PM

Many of the old Lew's Speed grips were actually designed so that the small ends (butt and fore) went against the reel seat and the larger ends away from the seat. And they were darned comfortable when mounted that way.

There is no right nor wrong here, it's just a matter of which you or she prefers.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 03:17PM

Either way works. If your using a gimbal and a cap, the big end down so that gimbal cover will set flush with the large end OD of the grip helps from knocking the cover of when in and out of the holder. Keep in mind you can turn it down if your not happy with the look or want a diffrent tapper.

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2007 03:49PM

Well after talking to a friend about the grips we have come to the conclusion that the two bottom grips for both blanks I have are actually fore grip for larger offshore rods. I am not comfortable turning them. I have emailed the supplier in hopes of getting the correct grips for these blanks without me having to alter them in anyway. Thanks again for all your post. Like always has helped me learn just that much more.

Brent Keever
Building friendships through custom rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster