I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative Wraps
Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 11:52AM

Ok, Billy or any of the other master wrappers. I seem to have a real problem when crosswrapping, (yes I have Billy's Book) as there is a width problem when I am trying to close in the wrap. Where the wrap crosses, I am able to pack the threads tight but between the crosses the thread actually packs a little tighter than the crosses. Therefore, I have an open area which is wider than I can fill with the closing threads. Am I using too much tension as I am wrapping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative Wraps
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 12:07PM

I'm not one of the "masters" but I think what you are discribing is problem
indicative to incorrect taper off-set spacing.

Does the wrap close closer to the tip and have open spaces near the butt?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 12:10PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2007 04:18PM

No, that isn't a taper spacing problem. It's the natural result of the thread trying to widen as you cross over other threads. The thread tends to spread wide and move down along each thread you cross, which makes things a bit wider on the centers or patterns than it is on the areas where you're just closing in.

About all you can do it try to keep the centers or pattern crossing tight, pushing them up together after each pass. Then, on the fill threads, burnish them as flat as you can. Between tightening the one and spreading the other, you can usually come out okay.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: July 21, 2007 07:10PM

After you make 3 passes with the X pattern I would secre the centers with some CP let dry and contnue to pack as you wrap.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 09:08PM

Hi Jim, maybe we can work on that stuff in Oct. Will you be at the cove or moved to SB by then?

Date: July 21, 2007 09:30PM

Tom thanks, that is exactly what I thought.

Jim (Doc Ski) I will take another lesson anywhere, anytime. We will not be moving to San Bruno till November so will be at the cove until then.

It is what I suspected, I am wrapping with too much tension and while I pack well into the cross wraps, the tension between the crossovers is probably too tight to allow things to spread out on the blank as they should. My crossovers are spaced exactly as called for in the pattern but I have extra space between the crossovers which could partly be alleviated by not pulling quite so tight on the thread when wrapping. I worked on one today that came much closer to what I wanted it to do.

Date: July 22, 2007 03:30AM

Doc where are you moving too.
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 12:58PM

I am not Moving Bob. Jim and I have met up in Baja the last couple years and looks like we will again this year. I might be able to give him some hints in this area. I have a technique that may help in the future but it is one of those you gotta see it to really understand it. Not one of those techniques that lends itself to turtorials unless it is video.

Date: July 22, 2007 09:09PM

Cool on your trip to Baja
Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 22, 2007 11:06PM

See now how tough is this, I get private tutoring lessons from the master and all I have to do is teach him how to fish in return. I am just kidding here, he is a true master with the wrapping but keeps his own with a fishing pole in his hand too. It's great to have friends.

Date: July 23, 2007 09:21AM

Telephone guys climb poles !! Fisherpeople use rods LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 09:36AM

Jim, are you wrapping 1 thrad at a time, or in bands? I used to have this same issue, and I fixed it by doign 2 things.
1. WRapping in bands. Bands cause less crossovers & less tension and ease packing.
2. Finishing with a solid color (darker is better), and just wrapping threads on top of each other at the crossover point, and filling in the sapce between. Onc CP & spoxy is applied, you CANNOT tell you wrapped threads on top of each other, especailly with black.

I don't think it's teh tension you use whle laying threads down...if you go too light on tension you might find once CP & Epoxy is applied you can see through the threads.

Date: July 23, 2007 10:24AM

Billy, yes, now that makes sense, I am definately wrapping one thread at a time and with large saltwater blanks like 18 to 20 mm diameter, it takes about three lifetimes to do these wraps with one pass at a time. Great help, I will try the box idea in your book and up the number of threads and see what that does. The reason I thought the threads might be a little tight is I had a wrapping with thunderbirds actually slip after it had been wrapped and finished for a couple of weeks so I had eased up on tension a little. I had seen spider wraps that I knew from the picture were done with one increase per pass and knew they were laying the thread on in bands but had not made the connection. Thanks for the insight

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster